Updated Aug 22, 2011 - 9:41 am
Whisenhunt says signing Fitzgerald sends message to Cardinals
Nobody will ever doubt Larry Fitzgerald's importance to the Arizona Cardinals.
The team's best player, No. 11's presence makes life easier for everyone, from the QB to fellow receivers.
Keeping him around for the next eight years, though, has more than just on-field ramifications.
"I just think it sends a message to our team about the importance of this season and what we are trying to do as an organization," Cardinals Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt told Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf Monday. "I think Michael Bidwill certainly sent that message when we were as aggressive as we were in free agency as far as making moves, trying to make our team better."
Whisenhunt said it shows the team will follow through on its promises, from upgrading the overall talent to keeping the great ones in town.
"It builds excitement for us for the season," he said.
That it does, and any fear Cardinals fans had about Fitzgerald possibly playing his farewell tour this year can officially dissipate, as the Pro Bowler will be in Cardinal red for the long haul.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.