Updated Aug 22, 2011 - 9:41 am
Whisenhunt says signing Fitzgerald sends message to Cardinals
Nobody will ever doubt Larry Fitzgerald's importance to the Arizona Cardinals.
The team's best player, No. 11's presence makes life easier for everyone, from the QB to fellow receivers.
Keeping him around for the next eight years, though, has more than just on-field ramifications.
"I just think it sends a message to our team about the importance of this season and what we are trying to do as an organization," Cardinals Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt told Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf Monday. "I think Michael Bidwill certainly sent that message when we were as aggressive as we were in free agency as far as making moves, trying to make our team better."
Whisenhunt said it shows the team will follow through on its promises, from upgrading the overall talent to keeping the great ones in town.
"It builds excitement for us for the season," he said.
That it does, and any fear Cardinals fans had about Fitzgerald possibly playing his farewell tour this year can officially dissipate, as the Pro Bowler will be in Cardinal red for the long haul.
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.
- Itís Paulís Call with Paul Calvisi! - Friday April 4The rat pack is on the loose!