Updated Aug 22, 2011 - 9:41 am
Whisenhunt says signing Fitzgerald sends message to Cardinals
Nobody will ever doubt Larry Fitzgerald's importance to the Arizona Cardinals.
The team's best player, No. 11's presence makes life easier for everyone, from the QB to fellow receivers.
Keeping him around for the next eight years, though, has more than just on-field ramifications.
"I just think it sends a message to our team about the importance of this season and what we are trying to do as an organization," Cardinals Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt told Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf Monday. "I think Michael Bidwill certainly sent that message when we were as aggressive as we were in free agency as far as making moves, trying to make our team better."
Whisenhunt said it shows the team will follow through on its promises, from upgrading the overall talent to keeping the great ones in town.
"It builds excitement for us for the season," he said.
That it does, and any fear Cardinals fans had about Fitzgerald possibly playing his farewell tour this year can officially dissipate, as the Pro Bowler will be in Cardinal red for the long haul.
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.