Updated Aug 22, 2011 - 9:41 am
Whisenhunt says signing Fitzgerald sends message to Cardinals
Nobody will ever doubt Larry Fitzgerald's importance to the Arizona Cardinals.
The team's best player, No. 11's presence makes life easier for everyone, from the QB to fellow receivers.
Keeping him around for the next eight years, though, has more than just on-field ramifications.
"I just think it sends a message to our team about the importance of this season and what we are trying to do as an organization," Cardinals Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt told Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf Monday. "I think Michael Bidwill certainly sent that message when we were as aggressive as we were in free agency as far as making moves, trying to make our team better."
Whisenhunt said it shows the team will follow through on its promises, from upgrading the overall talent to keeping the great ones in town.
"It builds excitement for us for the season," he said.
That it does, and any fear Cardinals fans had about Fitzgerald possibly playing his farewell tour this year can officially dissipate, as the Pro Bowler will be in Cardinal red for the long haul.
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.