Updated Aug 26, 2011 - 3:27 pm
Cardinals need O'Brien Schofield to step up
The Cardinals selected O'Brien Schofield in the fourth round of the 2010 draft believing they were getting a top-notch pass rusher at a discounted rate.
Roughly 19 months since tearing his ACL, the hope is the linebacker will turn into the dominant pass rusher the Cardinals need.
"The two guys that had been starting there, Clark Haggans and Joey Porter, they're guys that hopefully you don't have to play every down," Cardinals play-by-play broadcaster Dave Pasch said. "Not only that, but hopefully at some point one of them is not starting, and O'Brien Schofield is starting and O'Brien Schofield is contributing as a big time pass rusher.
"They need one."
Yes, they do.
Pasch said the last time the Cardinals had a true pass rush threat was Bertrand Berry, who picked up 14.5 sacks in 2004 and 40 over six seasons with Arizona, and could really use someone who can get after the quarterback.
Especially, as he said, if the Cardinals hope to follow in the mold the Pittsburgh Steelers have set, with the dominant nose tackle and two outside linebackers playing the key roles.
"Dan Williams is big, O'Brien Schofield is big, and whoever that other outside linebacker is...they need production from that position," he said.
Chances are you wont' find anyone who disagrees with Pasch, given that the key to a great defense is a pass rush.
Will Schofield provide one? Time will tell.
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.