Updated Aug 26, 2011 - 3:27 pm
Cardinals need O'Brien Schofield to step up
The Cardinals selected O'Brien Schofield in the fourth round of the 2010 draft believing they were getting a top-notch pass rusher at a discounted rate.
Roughly 19 months since tearing his ACL, the hope is the linebacker will turn into the dominant pass rusher the Cardinals need.
"The two guys that had been starting there, Clark Haggans and Joey Porter, they're guys that hopefully you don't have to play every down," Cardinals play-by-play broadcaster Dave Pasch said. "Not only that, but hopefully at some point one of them is not starting, and O'Brien Schofield is starting and O'Brien Schofield is contributing as a big time pass rusher.
"They need one."
Yes, they do.
Pasch said the last time the Cardinals had a true pass rush threat was Bertrand Berry, who picked up 14.5 sacks in 2004 and 40 over six seasons with Arizona, and could really use someone who can get after the quarterback.
Especially, as he said, if the Cardinals hope to follow in the mold the Pittsburgh Steelers have set, with the dominant nose tackle and two outside linebackers playing the key roles.
"Dan Williams is big, O'Brien Schofield is big, and whoever that other outside linebacker is...they need production from that position," he said.
Chances are you wont' find anyone who disagrees with Pasch, given that the key to a great defense is a pass rush.
Will Schofield provide one? Time will tell.
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Arizona Cardinals 2014 Free Agent Headquarters
- Arizona Cardinals sign free agent tight end John Carlson
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!