Updated Aug 26, 2011 - 10:07 am
Defense may be Cardinals' biggest question mark
The Arizona Cardinals are making a lot of changes, with the most prominent being the one at quarterback.
And yes, while it is tough to integrate a new signal caller -- especially over the course of a truncated offseason -- the most difficult transformation the team faces may be on the defensive side of the ball.
The Cardinals are, after all, implementing an entirely new system with defensive coordinator Ray Horton. Cardinals play-by-play man Dave Pasch told Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf he will be focusing on that side of the ball Saturday night.
"I think the defense is a big question just because they haven't had a lot of time to implement and get used to the Ray Horton defense," Pasch said. "How much different is it going to be from what we saw under Bill Davis?
Pasch did say he was encouraged by what he saw last week, as the Cardinals harassed Packers QB Aaron Rodgers and, save for one drive, really did a solid job.
"I want to see more of that," Pasch said.
Pasch is certainly not alone in that wish, as a good defensive performance against another one of the leagues' top offenses would inspire quite a bit of confidence in what this team can accomplish.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.