Updated Aug 29, 2011 - 4:26 pm
Cardinals' trades come back to haunt team
The moves made sense, as the team had depth the cornerback and running back positions, and the trades were used to help fill holes the team had.
"They traded a corner and a running back, and the two major injuries, a corner and a running back," Arizona Sports' John Gambadoro said. "It couldn't have played out any worse for the Arizona Cardinals."
Gambadoro said there is no way the Cardinals would have made the trades if they knew Ryan Williams and Greg Toler would each go down with season-ending injuries, as now the team is thin at both positions.
And, while the Cardinals should be able to find a solid running back before the regular season begins, the odds of them adding a capable cornerback are not as good.
"I was speaking with [ESPN NFL insider] Adam Schefter," Gambadoro said, "he told me, 'look, Gambo, the pickings are slim at the cornerback.'"
As it stands, the Cardinals may be able withstand their injuries because of the players who are still there.
Because, while losing Ryan Williams hurts, Beanie Wells was still expected to be the number one running back, and LaRod Stephens-Howling was going to play a role, too. On defense, the Cardinals still have Patrick Peterson, Richard Marshall and A.J. Jefferson lining up at corner.
Even if the Cardinals wanted to find another corner, Arizona Sports 620's Dave Burns doesn't think they will. A running back, yes. But not a corner.
"They're not going to find anybody worth a darn at cornerback because you don't cut decent cornerbacks in the National Football League," he said. "Look at some of the most successful defenses of the last couple of years, and what do they all have in common? It's not a great pass rush, it's the ability to defend the pass."
Having quality corners is important, something the Cardinals surely know. They traded one away because of their depth at the position, though that will be tested now.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.