Injuries could force young corners into action for the Cardinals
"It's part of the game," Whisenhunt said of injuries. "It happens all over the league."
After news broke that CB Greg Toler will be out for the season, Whisenhunt cited last season's champions as an example of a team playing through injuries.
"You look at Green Bay last year," said Whisenhunt, "they had a number of injuries and they seemed to come through it okay."
The fact that the coach used Green Bay as an example of who he will compare his team to is another sign of this 2011 Cardinals team showing fans that it has high hopes for the season.
"You get to a point where young guys gotta play and gotta step up," said Whisenhunt.
With Toler out the Cardinals could look to add another veteran to the defensive backfield, but A.J. Jefferson and Patrick Peterson are proving they deserve playing time.
"I definitely feel good about A.J. and Patrick," said Whisenhunt. "I don't think there is any panic."
Peterson made an impact in Saturday's preseason game when he returned an interception 34-yards for a touchdown.
Whisenhunt provided another vote of confidence to the rookie cornerback.
"There's no question he's a talented young player," the coach said. "I don't think it's a question of if, it's just a question of when."
Whisenhunt had no problem discussing the possibility of starting a second year player and a rookie at the cornerback positions.
"If we're playing with those two guys it's because they've earned it and I'm okay with that."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.