Updated Aug 29, 2011 - 3:57 pm
Injuries could force young corners into action for the Cardinals
"It's part of the game," Whisenhunt said of injuries. "It happens all over the league."
After news broke that CB Greg Toler will be out for the season, Whisenhunt cited last season's champions as an example of a team playing through injuries.
"You look at Green Bay last year," said Whisenhunt, "they had a number of injuries and they seemed to come through it okay."
The fact that the coach used Green Bay as an example of who he will compare his team to is another sign of this 2011 Cardinals team showing fans that it has high hopes for the season.
"You get to a point where young guys gotta play and gotta step up," said Whisenhunt.
With Toler out the Cardinals could look to add another veteran to the defensive backfield, but A.J. Jefferson and Patrick Peterson are proving they deserve playing time.
"I definitely feel good about A.J. and Patrick," said Whisenhunt. "I don't think there is any panic."
Peterson made an impact in Saturday's preseason game when he returned an interception 34-yards for a touchdown.
Whisenhunt provided another vote of confidence to the rookie cornerback.
"There's no question he's a talented young player," the coach said. "I don't think it's a question of if, it's just a question of when."
Whisenhunt had no problem discussing the possibility of starting a second year player and a rookie at the cornerback positions.
"If we're playing with those two guys it's because they've earned it and I'm okay with that."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.