Updated Aug 29, 2011 - 3:57 pm
Injuries could force young corners into action for the Cardinals
"It's part of the game," Whisenhunt said of injuries. "It happens all over the league."
After news broke that CB Greg Toler will be out for the season, Whisenhunt cited last season's champions as an example of a team playing through injuries.
"You look at Green Bay last year," said Whisenhunt, "they had a number of injuries and they seemed to come through it okay."
The fact that the coach used Green Bay as an example of who he will compare his team to is another sign of this 2011 Cardinals team showing fans that it has high hopes for the season.
"You get to a point where young guys gotta play and gotta step up," said Whisenhunt.
With Toler out the Cardinals could look to add another veteran to the defensive backfield, but A.J. Jefferson and Patrick Peterson are proving they deserve playing time.
"I definitely feel good about A.J. and Patrick," said Whisenhunt. "I don't think there is any panic."
Peterson made an impact in Saturday's preseason game when he returned an interception 34-yards for a touchdown.
Whisenhunt provided another vote of confidence to the rookie cornerback.
"There's no question he's a talented young player," the coach said. "I don't think it's a question of if, it's just a question of when."
Whisenhunt had no problem discussing the possibility of starting a second year player and a rookie at the cornerback positions.
"If we're playing with those two guys it's because they've earned it and I'm okay with that."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?