Updated Aug 29, 2011 - 3:57 pm
Injuries could force young corners into action for the Cardinals
"It's part of the game," Whisenhunt said of injuries. "It happens all over the league."
After news broke that CB Greg Toler will be out for the season, Whisenhunt cited last season's champions as an example of a team playing through injuries.
"You look at Green Bay last year," said Whisenhunt, "they had a number of injuries and they seemed to come through it okay."
The fact that the coach used Green Bay as an example of who he will compare his team to is another sign of this 2011 Cardinals team showing fans that it has high hopes for the season.
"You get to a point where young guys gotta play and gotta step up," said Whisenhunt.
With Toler out the Cardinals could look to add another veteran to the defensive backfield, but A.J. Jefferson and Patrick Peterson are proving they deserve playing time.
"I definitely feel good about A.J. and Patrick," said Whisenhunt. "I don't think there is any panic."
Peterson made an impact in Saturday's preseason game when he returned an interception 34-yards for a touchdown.
Whisenhunt provided another vote of confidence to the rookie cornerback.
"There's no question he's a talented young player," the coach said. "I don't think it's a question of if, it's just a question of when."
Whisenhunt had no problem discussing the possibility of starting a second year player and a rookie at the cornerback positions.
"If we're playing with those two guys it's because they've earned it and I'm okay with that."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Arizona Cardinals RB Zach Bauman excited for 'opportunity to show what I can do' Thursday vs. Chargers
- Confident Chandler Catanzaro looks to prove himself as Arizona Cardinals kicker
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd named to Sports Illustrated's All-Breakout Team
- Panel ranks Arizona Cardinals' Bruce Arians as the NFL's 13th-best head coach
- The Pulse: Most fans not very concerned with the Arizona Cardinals' preseason loss to the Cincinnati Bengals
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Monday August 25Bruce Arians says Jay Feely was let go early on so he can catch on with another team.