Updated Sep 3, 2011 - 1:54 pm
Chester Taylor, Brandon Tate cuts could benefit Arizona Cardinals
NFL roster cuts are on-going and there are two available players that could benefit the Arizona Cardinals.
Former Chicago Bears running back Chester Taylor was cut by the Bears, according to his agent. The Cardinals need a running back, Taylor needs a team -- a match made in football heaven?
The Cards looks to be set on Beanie Wells as their number one running back, but Taylor's pass blocking and third down running ability would be a good fit for a team who is now a running back short after the season-ending injury to rookie Ryan Williams.
Taylor may also be eager to take a short-term contract for less pay in order to get reps. After all, the 32-year-old Taylor isn't getting any younger.
While the Cardinals may be enjoying solid competition at the wide receiver position, they still do not have a true number two. Brandon Tate may be the solution to that problem.
The former New England Patriots wide receiver was cut Saturday and the Cards would do well to at lease give his agent a phone call. While Tate is not a fantasy draft's dream, his consistent catches for high yardage could make him enough of a threat to draw attention away from Larry Fitzgerald.
While Taylor and Tate are obviously not the only choices available to the Cards, they are two players who would fit well in the desert, so long as they would accept a back-up and number two role, respectively.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!