Updated Sep 5, 2011 - 1:37 pm
ESPN NFC West blog knocks Chester Taylor
It may have been a short blog post, but it could deflate a lot of Arizona Cardinals' fans hopes.
ESPN's NFC West Blog rained on new Cardinal running back Chester Taylor's parade with a few stats about Taylor's recent running struggles.
According to the blog, Taylor's average run last year was only for 2.38 yards, making it the worst for any back with a minimum of 100 carries in a season since 1970.
Never fear, Cards fans. Taylor wasn't for an explosive run game for huge yards every Sunday -- though that would help my fantasy team -- because he doesn't offer one.
As a veteran back, Taylor offers the Cardinals an option for short-yardage third downs, pass protection and a decent set of receiving hands in the backfield. Basically, he's not going to be a big-name back racking up big plays a la Adrian Peterson, but he has a role to play. It may not be glamorous, but every team needs a workhorse running back willing to contribute to the team any way they can.
The Cardinals got that player when they signed Taylor.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?