Updated Sep 6, 2011 - 11:08 pm
Whisenhunt on RB Taylor: 'Good fit for us'
PHOENIX - When the Arizona Cardinals lost rookie running back Ryan Williams for the season it was only a matter of time before the team went out and signed another rusher for depth purposes.
Arizona finally made the move when they signed Chester Taylor after he was cut from the Chicago Bears.
Some have questioned the move stating it won't help the team much, but coach Ken Whisenhunt is happy with the new addition to the team.
"He's a veteran presence that's been very successful in this league in a number of different roles. I think it's a good fit for us," said Whisenhunt on the Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf show on Tuesday.
Beanie Wells will get most of the carries out of the backfield, but the Cardinals now have another proven runner who can spell Wells from time to time.
In addition, the Cardinals' coach plans to use Taylor in a variety of roles.
"He's a known quantity and to have the opportunity to get a veteran presence that can help us in a variety of roles will help us," said Whisenhunt.
The Cardinals still plan to use Alphonso Smith and LaRod Stephens-Howling in different packages as well, so adding the 32-year old Taylor should only help the team.
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.