Updated Sep 6, 2011 - 11:08 pm
Whisenhunt on RB Taylor: 'Good fit for us'
PHOENIX - When the Arizona Cardinals lost rookie running back Ryan Williams for the season it was only a matter of time before the team went out and signed another rusher for depth purposes.
Arizona finally made the move when they signed Chester Taylor after he was cut from the Chicago Bears.
Some have questioned the move stating it won't help the team much, but coach Ken Whisenhunt is happy with the new addition to the team.
"He's a veteran presence that's been very successful in this league in a number of different roles. I think it's a good fit for us," said Whisenhunt on the Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf show on Tuesday.
Beanie Wells will get most of the carries out of the backfield, but the Cardinals now have another proven runner who can spell Wells from time to time.
In addition, the Cardinals' coach plans to use Taylor in a variety of roles.
"He's a known quantity and to have the opportunity to get a veteran presence that can help us in a variety of roles will help us," said Whisenhunt.
The Cardinals still plan to use Alphonso Smith and LaRod Stephens-Howling in different packages as well, so adding the 32-year old Taylor should only help the team.
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians: Logan Thomas as expected, has 'a good future'
- Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians confirms James Harrison interest
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians on Tyrann Mathieu's progress: 'We'll see how he tackles'
- Report: Bengals cornerback fined for hit on Arizona Cardinals' Ted Ginn
- Arizona Cardinals preseason: By The Numbers
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.