Updated Sep 6, 2011 - 8:46 pm
Whisenhunt wary of Cam Newton's feet
PHOENIX - The Arizona Cardinals will take on the Carolina Panthers in Week 1 on Sunday and will also get the first look at number one overall draft pick quarterback Cam Newton.
Despite being a young player, Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt knows his team has to be on the lookout for Newton's athletic abilities.
"He's a guy you have to make sure that you understand he can hurt you with his feet," said Whisenhunt on the Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf show on Tuesday.
Arizona wants to put pressure on the young quarterback, but still has to be careful how they attack Newton.
"When things break down he can move in the pocket and chew up some yardage getting down the field. He's a guy you have to make sure you're very disciplined in your rush lanes and your containment," said Whisenhunt.
The biggest knock on Newton's game has been his inability to throw the ball down the field and with accuracy, so Arizona will be trying to make Newton beat them with his arm.
"You don't want to let him create big plays with his feet and try to make him beat you by playing a normal quarterback game. As far as a guy that can drop back and throw the football and win games, that's tough for a young player," said Whisenunt.
Whether the Cardinals choose to blitz and put pressure on Newton or sit back and let him try to beat them with his arm, this game will present a challenge for Arizona in the first game of the season.
"It'll be an interesting chess match in this first game," said Whisenhunt.
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.