Updated Sep 6, 2011 - 8:46 pm
Whisenhunt wary of Cam Newton's feet
PHOENIX - The Arizona Cardinals will take on the Carolina Panthers in Week 1 on Sunday and will also get the first look at number one overall draft pick quarterback Cam Newton.
Despite being a young player, Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt knows his team has to be on the lookout for Newton's athletic abilities.
"He's a guy you have to make sure that you understand he can hurt you with his feet," said Whisenhunt on the Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf show on Tuesday.
Arizona wants to put pressure on the young quarterback, but still has to be careful how they attack Newton.
"When things break down he can move in the pocket and chew up some yardage getting down the field. He's a guy you have to make sure you're very disciplined in your rush lanes and your containment," said Whisenhunt.
The biggest knock on Newton's game has been his inability to throw the ball down the field and with accuracy, so Arizona will be trying to make Newton beat them with his arm.
"You don't want to let him create big plays with his feet and try to make him beat you by playing a normal quarterback game. As far as a guy that can drop back and throw the football and win games, that's tough for a young player," said Whisenunt.
Whether the Cardinals choose to blitz and put pressure on Newton or sit back and let him try to beat them with his arm, this game will present a challenge for Arizona in the first game of the season.
"It'll be an interesting chess match in this first game," said Whisenhunt.
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Larry Fitzgerald celebrity softball game this Saturday
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- Arizona Cardinals' Terry McDonough: Emotion not a good tool for evaluating draft talent
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?