Updated Sep 8, 2011 - 12:18 pm
ESPN insider says Kevin Kolb makes Cardinals a contender
Acquired less than two months ago from the Philadelphia Eagles, Kevin Kolb is expected to not just be better than Derek Anderson, but be an upper-echelon signal caller as well.
ESPN's Ron Jaworski, speaking to Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo, thinks knowing he's "the man" in Arizona will go a long way towards helping Kolb show what he's got.
"Every time he had an opportunity to play he played very well and very consistently," he said. "I think the Cardinals get a quarterback that they can count on week in and week out.
"You'll get consistent performance out of Kevin Kolb."
As long as Kolb is consistently good things will be OK in the desert, and one would think the Cardinals just need adequate QB play to improve on the five games they won last season and make a run in the substandard NFC West.
"I think this is one of the best offseason acquisitions in the National Football League," Jaworski said. "It automatically brings the Cardinals into a contender position."
That's because, as Jaworksi said, the 27-year-old brings a lot of skills to his new team.
"I think his biggest attribute is he's smart, the guy understands what the offense should be doing against any specific defense. He's very good at the line of scrimmage."
So while Kolb won't make "laser-type throws," Jaworski said the QB has great anticipation. Oh, and he's a great leader too.
"What you get is a quarterback that the guys will look up to in the huddle, they know that he's going to get them in the right play," Jaworski added. "You're not going to have any wasted plays at the line of scrimmage.
"He'll prepare himself, he'll prepare the offense."
The only question now is if roughly six weeks is enough time for a QB to prepare for a season with a new team. If Kolb comes out firing on all cylinders the Cardinals could be a very dangerous team.
"They'll be a playoff team out of that division," Jaworski said.
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.