Updated Sep 8, 2011 - 12:18 pm
ESPN insider says Kevin Kolb makes Cardinals a contender
Acquired less than two months ago from the Philadelphia Eagles, Kevin Kolb is expected to not just be better than Derek Anderson, but be an upper-echelon signal caller as well.
ESPN's Ron Jaworski, speaking to Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo, thinks knowing he's "the man" in Arizona will go a long way towards helping Kolb show what he's got.
"Every time he had an opportunity to play he played very well and very consistently," he said. "I think the Cardinals get a quarterback that they can count on week in and week out.
"You'll get consistent performance out of Kevin Kolb."
As long as Kolb is consistently good things will be OK in the desert, and one would think the Cardinals just need adequate QB play to improve on the five games they won last season and make a run in the substandard NFC West.
"I think this is one of the best offseason acquisitions in the National Football League," Jaworski said. "It automatically brings the Cardinals into a contender position."
That's because, as Jaworksi said, the 27-year-old brings a lot of skills to his new team.
"I think his biggest attribute is he's smart, the guy understands what the offense should be doing against any specific defense. He's very good at the line of scrimmage."
So while Kolb won't make "laser-type throws," Jaworski said the QB has great anticipation. Oh, and he's a great leader too.
"What you get is a quarterback that the guys will look up to in the huddle, they know that he's going to get them in the right play," Jaworski added. "You're not going to have any wasted plays at the line of scrimmage.
"He'll prepare himself, he'll prepare the offense."
The only question now is if roughly six weeks is enough time for a QB to prepare for a season with a new team. If Kolb comes out firing on all cylinders the Cardinals could be a very dangerous team.
"They'll be a playoff team out of that division," Jaworski said.
- Reunited with Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals tackle Max Starks looking forward to new challenges
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.