Updated Sep 12, 2011 - 6:21 pm
Defensive backs give Cardinals reason for concern
Sure, the team won, but yielding 477 total yards is reason for pause, if not a little concern.
"There's no doubt about it," Arizona Sports 620's Ron Wolfley said of there being something to worry about. "You can't deny that when you give up the chunks of yardage the Arizona Cardinals secondary, in particular, did, that is a huge concern."
Wolfley pointed to the defensive scheme, saying the Cardinals did blitz on many downs. Not getting to Newton meant the defensive backs were left to cover receivers without help and for long periods of time.
Combine that with young players, and it's really no surprise Newton had himself a day.
"You're going to get blown assignments in the secondary, especially when you're coming with more complex schemes," Wolfley said, "and that's exactly what I think we saw.
"Of the eight big plays they gave up yesterday, I think there were four where you could just say there were mental errors or poor technique."
That being the case, it's not unreasonable to think the team should improve as the season progresses.
Then again, as Doug Franz noted, one of the biggest mistakes may have been courtesy of a couple of veterans. Newton found Steve Smith wide open down the sideline for what became a 77-yard touchdown, and with a blitzing Patrick Peterson it was up to Kerry Rhodes and Adrian Wilson to keep an eye on the wideout.
"What bothers me about the play is I don't know whether it was Rhodes' fault or A-Dub's fault," Franz said. "But if we're going to make mistakes I'd rather it be Patrick Peterson."
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Franz's 2013 NFL Power Poll - Week 15
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.