Updated Sep 12, 2011 - 1:55 pm
Heap says Cardinals want to be recognized as a team
Needing late-game heroics to beat the Carolina Panthers at home will damage a reputation.
"It's a good sign when you win those types of games that are ugly," tight end Todd Heap told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo.
Winning -- either ugly or pretty -- is what will bring attention to the Valley. That, Heap said, is a goal.
"We want everybody talking about us as a team," he said, "we want to make sure that we get recognized as a team.
"The only way to do that is to come out and win games and make sure everybody knows who we are and knows what we're about."
Heap said it will be important to keep improving and not thinking they've arrived.
If post-game comments are any indication, that won't be an issue. The Cardinals know they have room to get better.
The key is the idea that not only can the team improve, but they will. Optimism is fairly high because of how QB Kevin Kolb played Sunday.
The former Eagle threw for 309 yards and two touchdowns in the win. The touchdowns were on plays of 48 and 70 yards, respectively, showing the big-play ability this offense possesses.
"I think Kevin has a real good feel for the game," Heap said, noting the team's ability to connect on big plays when they were needed.
Of course, none of the biggest plays went Heap's way. The same can't be said for fellow tight end Jeff King, who hauled in the 48-yard touchdown pass.
Heap wouldn't admit to having any jealousy.
"You want to be that guy that's wide open," he said. "It was a great play. We needed it at that time."
Heap said it was nice for King to score against his old team.
"I was thrilled for Jeff," he said.
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?