Updated Sep 12, 2011 - 1:55 pm
Heap says Cardinals want to be recognized as a team
Needing late-game heroics to beat the Carolina Panthers at home will damage a reputation.
"It's a good sign when you win those types of games that are ugly," tight end Todd Heap told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo.
Winning -- either ugly or pretty -- is what will bring attention to the Valley. That, Heap said, is a goal.
"We want everybody talking about us as a team," he said, "we want to make sure that we get recognized as a team.
"The only way to do that is to come out and win games and make sure everybody knows who we are and knows what we're about."
Heap said it will be important to keep improving and not thinking they've arrived.
If post-game comments are any indication, that won't be an issue. The Cardinals know they have room to get better.
The key is the idea that not only can the team improve, but they will. Optimism is fairly high because of how QB Kevin Kolb played Sunday.
The former Eagle threw for 309 yards and two touchdowns in the win. The touchdowns were on plays of 48 and 70 yards, respectively, showing the big-play ability this offense possesses.
"I think Kevin has a real good feel for the game," Heap said, noting the team's ability to connect on big plays when they were needed.
Of course, none of the biggest plays went Heap's way. The same can't be said for fellow tight end Jeff King, who hauled in the 48-yard touchdown pass.
Heap wouldn't admit to having any jealousy.
"You want to be that guy that's wide open," he said. "It was a great play. We needed it at that time."
Heap said it was nice for King to score against his old team.
"I was thrilled for Jeff," he said.
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.