Updated Sep 12, 2011 - 1:55 pm
Heap says Cardinals want to be recognized as a team
Needing late-game heroics to beat the Carolina Panthers at home will damage a reputation.
"It's a good sign when you win those types of games that are ugly," tight end Todd Heap told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo.
Winning -- either ugly or pretty -- is what will bring attention to the Valley. That, Heap said, is a goal.
"We want everybody talking about us as a team," he said, "we want to make sure that we get recognized as a team.
"The only way to do that is to come out and win games and make sure everybody knows who we are and knows what we're about."
Heap said it will be important to keep improving and not thinking they've arrived.
If post-game comments are any indication, that won't be an issue. The Cardinals know they have room to get better.
The key is the idea that not only can the team improve, but they will. Optimism is fairly high because of how QB Kevin Kolb played Sunday.
The former Eagle threw for 309 yards and two touchdowns in the win. The touchdowns were on plays of 48 and 70 yards, respectively, showing the big-play ability this offense possesses.
"I think Kevin has a real good feel for the game," Heap said, noting the team's ability to connect on big plays when they were needed.
Of course, none of the biggest plays went Heap's way. The same can't be said for fellow tight end Jeff King, who hauled in the 48-yard touchdown pass.
Heap wouldn't admit to having any jealousy.
"You want to be that guy that's wide open," he said. "It was a great play. We needed it at that time."
Heap said it was nice for King to score against his old team.
"I was thrilled for Jeff," he said.
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Franz's 2013 NFL Power Poll - Week 15
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.