Updated Sep 12, 2011 - 1:55 pm
Heap says Cardinals want to be recognized as a team
Needing late-game heroics to beat the Carolina Panthers at home will damage a reputation.
"It's a good sign when you win those types of games that are ugly," tight end Todd Heap told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo.
Winning -- either ugly or pretty -- is what will bring attention to the Valley. That, Heap said, is a goal.
"We want everybody talking about us as a team," he said, "we want to make sure that we get recognized as a team.
"The only way to do that is to come out and win games and make sure everybody knows who we are and knows what we're about."
Heap said it will be important to keep improving and not thinking they've arrived.
If post-game comments are any indication, that won't be an issue. The Cardinals know they have room to get better.
The key is the idea that not only can the team improve, but they will. Optimism is fairly high because of how QB Kevin Kolb played Sunday.
The former Eagle threw for 309 yards and two touchdowns in the win. The touchdowns were on plays of 48 and 70 yards, respectively, showing the big-play ability this offense possesses.
"I think Kevin has a real good feel for the game," Heap said, noting the team's ability to connect on big plays when they were needed.
Of course, none of the biggest plays went Heap's way. The same can't be said for fellow tight end Jeff King, who hauled in the 48-yard touchdown pass.
Heap wouldn't admit to having any jealousy.
"You want to be that guy that's wide open," he said. "It was a great play. We needed it at that time."
Heap said it was nice for King to score against his old team.
"I was thrilled for Jeff," he said.
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!