Updated Sep 20, 2011 - 4:39 pm
Cardinals suffering under new defensive system
PHOENIX - NFL teams didn't have the benefit of mini-camps and OTA's this offseason due to the lockout leaving teams scrambling to pick up new systems when training camps opened in September.
The Arizona Cardinals are struggling mightily on defense adjusting to Ray Horton's new system.
After two games, Arizona's defense is ranked 29th in the league giving up an average of 466 yards of total yardage a game.
The team looks like it will try making some adjustments this week to make the transition easier on the players.
"I talked to coach earlier and we'll probably scale some stuff back. It's a tough system to learn," said safety Kerry Rhodes on Monday.
The Pittsburgh Steelers have run the same defense for years to great success, but it seems the Cardinals' players are having a tough time adapting to it.
"It's complicated, but we got to be pros and figure it out. You can throw it off on it being complicated, but at the end of the day, we got to run it," said Rhodes.
The pressure is on for the team to find a defensive system that works as the Cardinals are on their third defensive coordinator in coach Whisenhunt's tenure with the organization.
If the team doesn't begin showing improvement on defense, it might be time to start evaluating whether the Cardinals have the right kind of players for this system.
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!