Updated Sep 20, 2011 - 5:33 pm
Run or pass, Cardinals just need to move the chains
The Cardinals ran the ball just three times in the first half -- and 15 for the game -- in losing 22-21. To make matters worse, the Cardinals ran the ball just one time after taking a 21-13 lead, electing to take to the air in an effort to gain first downs and kill the clock.
"You know what you need to do, ladies and gentleman," Arizona Sports 620's Ron Wolfley said, "Outside of your four minute offense, what you need to be able to do is move the chains."
Wolfley said you do whatever you have to in order to get a first down, and if that means throwing the ball you do it.
"Especially if you've got a quarterback you're confident in like Kevin Kolb," he continued, "and you've got the best receiver on the face of the planet, at some point in time you've got to be able to trust them as well.
"Did it work? No, it backfired in their face."
Arizona Sports 620's Doug Franz didn't have as much of an issue with the play-calling in the fourth quarter as he did with the first half decisions. The Cardinals ran just 16 plays in the first half and were barely on the field.
Arizona Sports 620's Doug Franz said while the defense could have been better, the offense could have helped.
"It's easy to say the defense allowed the 'Skins to have too many plays," he said. "The first half the defense needed to get the ball to the offense.
"But a small amount of the offense's 16 plays is because a., they're not getting first downs and b, when you're throwing it and going three-and-out now the defense is right back on the field. It's somewhat of a symbiotic relationship."
The Cardinals changed the gameplan in the second half, and the offense succeeded because of it.
"It seemed like in the third quarter the Cardinals came out with the mid-set 'we are going to run you over' and they did that," he said.
Lesson learned? We'll see.
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.
- Itís Paulís Call with Paul Calvisi! - Friday April 4The rat pack is on the loose!