Updated Sep 30, 2011 - 5:40 pm
Despite 1-2 start, Larry Fitzgerald encouraged by Kevin Kolb
The Arizona Cardinals offense may have struggled last week against a poor Seattle Seahawks team, but there is a lot of football to be played and a quarterback to develop.
"[Kevin Kolb]'s only been here eight weeks and he had a huge disadvantage not having the off-season program and all the time that most quarterbacks have, but he makes the best of it," Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald said Thursday on Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf show.
Many fans expected Kolb to be an instant solution to the team's offensive issues and appeared to be so in the first two weeks of the season, but had a setback last Sunday as the Cardinals struggled in the final minutes for some much-needed offensive firepower.
Kolb finished the game with 25 completed passes for for 252 yards and a touchdown to Fitzgerald, but his two interceptions, including one with under a minute to play, stood out starkly against the an otherwise decent performance.
Fitz said he isn't concerned with Kolb's start and said his teammates need to help him out.
"We all look at it like this: the better our play, the better Larry Fitzgerald goes out and performs on a week- to-week basis, the easier Kevin Kolb's job will be to get me the football," Fitzgerald said.
Kolb's job, along with the rest of the Cardinals offense, won't be easy when it comes to playing the Giants and former Cardinal Antrel Rolle on Sunday, but Fitz said that kind of match-up will only encourage him to play better.
"Those kind of challenges are always fun and bring out the best," Fitzgerald said.
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!