Updated Oct 5, 2011 - 4:09 pm
For Cardinals close isn't good enough
Two of the three losses saw the Cardinals let a fourth quarter lead slip away.
So while they've been close to wins, the fact is that's not good enough.
"You've got to find a way to win," quarterback Kevin Kolb said. "Regardless if it's 30 points or three points, you've got to find a way to win."
Unfortunately for the Cardinals all they've really done this season is find new ways to lose.
The good news, at least from Arizona's perspective, is that their problems are self-inflicted. Whether it's missing an assignment, fumbling the ball or just not making a play, the Cardinals know their own mistakes have led to a 1-3 record.
"Whenever you've got a game so close like that," running back Beanie Wells said, "you think about every little, minimal mistake.
"I don't want to go on further in the season thinking about things like that. I would rather close out a football game knowing that we did everything possible to bring us closer to a victory."
So whether that's making one more tackle, snagging one more catch or gaining a few extra yards on a play, the Cardinals say they're ready to start winning again.
"Being close, still, it doesn't get you victories," receiver Early Doucet said. "At some point we've got to finish games out.
"We're just a player here and a play there from winning those games and I think, for us, we know that and we're going to continue to work hard."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.