Updated Oct 6, 2011 - 11:02 am
Wells, Whisenhunt agree on run game importance
In four games this season, Cardinals fans started to get the run game they've been asking for, but it's only translated to one win. So what gives?
Cardinals Head coach Ken Whisenhunt said having a solid run game is important but not as important as getting wins.
"I think it brings confidence to your team to be able to do that. If we can continue to improve the run game like it's been last week and build off that, it will make us a more balanced offense and more difficult to defend and that's ultimately what we're trying to do," Whisenhunt said.
Beanie Wells has always been a proponent of running the ball more, not surprising considering he's a running back. But he also said it does him no good to have a great game when the team doesn't get a win.
"Yeah, the run game does seem to fire us up but clearly not enough. We're not getting victories. We just need to figure out a way to close out the game, whether it be running or passing the ball."
The Cardinals have rushed the ball 100 times for 438 yards this season through four games. That's 16th in the league overall. Wells is also second in the league with 107.0 yards per game.
Wells said it's nice to put up rushing numbers against good defenses but without the W's, it's meaningless.
"All in all, if we pass the ball for 500 yards and get a victory, who's complaining then. We want to get the win most importantly."
We'll find out Sunday against the Vikings if the Cardinals can avoid losing their 4th straight with the help of a balanced attack.
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.