Updated Oct 6, 2011 - 11:02 am
Wells, Whisenhunt agree on run game importance
In four games this season, Cardinals fans started to get the run game they've been asking for, but it's only translated to one win. So what gives?
Cardinals Head coach Ken Whisenhunt said having a solid run game is important but not as important as getting wins.
"I think it brings confidence to your team to be able to do that. If we can continue to improve the run game like it's been last week and build off that, it will make us a more balanced offense and more difficult to defend and that's ultimately what we're trying to do," Whisenhunt said.
Beanie Wells has always been a proponent of running the ball more, not surprising considering he's a running back. But he also said it does him no good to have a great game when the team doesn't get a win.
"Yeah, the run game does seem to fire us up but clearly not enough. We're not getting victories. We just need to figure out a way to close out the game, whether it be running or passing the ball."
The Cardinals have rushed the ball 100 times for 438 yards this season through four games. That's 16th in the league overall. Wells is also second in the league with 107.0 yards per game.
Wells said it's nice to put up rushing numbers against good defenses but without the W's, it's meaningless.
"All in all, if we pass the ball for 500 yards and get a victory, who's complaining then. We want to get the win most importantly."
We'll find out Sunday against the Vikings if the Cardinals can avoid losing their 4th straight with the help of a balanced attack.
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!