Wells, Whisenhunt agree on run game importance
In four games this season, Cardinals fans started to get the run game they've been asking for, but it's only translated to one win. So what gives?
Cardinals Head coach Ken Whisenhunt said having a solid run game is important but not as important as getting wins.
"I think it brings confidence to your team to be able to do that. If we can continue to improve the run game like it's been last week and build off that, it will make us a more balanced offense and more difficult to defend and that's ultimately what we're trying to do," Whisenhunt said.
Beanie Wells has always been a proponent of running the ball more, not surprising considering he's a running back. But he also said it does him no good to have a great game when the team doesn't get a win.
"Yeah, the run game does seem to fire us up but clearly not enough. We're not getting victories. We just need to figure out a way to close out the game, whether it be running or passing the ball."
The Cardinals have rushed the ball 100 times for 438 yards this season through four games. That's 16th in the league overall. Wells is also second in the league with 107.0 yards per game.
Wells said it's nice to put up rushing numbers against good defenses but without the W's, it's meaningless.
"All in all, if we pass the ball for 500 yards and get a victory, who's complaining then. We want to get the win most importantly."
We'll find out Sunday against the Vikings if the Cardinals can avoid losing their 4th straight with the help of a balanced attack.
- Cardinals coach: As of now, Rashard Mendenhall is the starting running back
- Cardinals coach Bruce Arians on Daryl Washington: 'He's walking a very thin line'
- Patriots TE Gronkowski undergoes back surgery
- Cardinals rookie class to be recognized before D-backs game
- Football writers honor Colts coach Chuck Pagano
- Impromptu Power Poll: Tim Tebow - Monday June 10Doug & Wolf's top 5 reasons why the Patriots signed Tim Tebow.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br