Updated Oct 6, 2011 - 11:02 am
Wells, Whisenhunt agree on run game importance
In four games this season, Cardinals fans started to get the run game they've been asking for, but it's only translated to one win. So what gives?
Cardinals Head coach Ken Whisenhunt said having a solid run game is important but not as important as getting wins.
"I think it brings confidence to your team to be able to do that. If we can continue to improve the run game like it's been last week and build off that, it will make us a more balanced offense and more difficult to defend and that's ultimately what we're trying to do," Whisenhunt said.
Beanie Wells has always been a proponent of running the ball more, not surprising considering he's a running back. But he also said it does him no good to have a great game when the team doesn't get a win.
"Yeah, the run game does seem to fire us up but clearly not enough. We're not getting victories. We just need to figure out a way to close out the game, whether it be running or passing the ball."
The Cardinals have rushed the ball 100 times for 438 yards this season through four games. That's 16th in the league overall. Wells is also second in the league with 107.0 yards per game.
Wells said it's nice to put up rushing numbers against good defenses but without the W's, it's meaningless.
"All in all, if we pass the ball for 500 yards and get a victory, who's complaining then. We want to get the win most importantly."
We'll find out Sunday against the Vikings if the Cardinals can avoid losing their 4th straight with the help of a balanced attack.
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Arizona Cardinals sign wide receiver/kick returner Reggie Dunn
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday July 25ESPN NFL Insider John Clayton talks about Marshawn Lynch’s impending holdout.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?