Updated Oct 6, 2011 - 2:31 pm
ESPN NFL Insider says Kevin Kolb is in a slump
His struggles have brought about questions and concern over his play, and especially the QB's tendency to bail on the pocket prematurely and not go through progressions to find an open receiver.
"A little bit unsettled in the pocket, not staying with the progressions, sometimes feeling that pressure," ESPN NFL Insider Ron Jaworski told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "You would call that 'cabin fever,' you feel that pressure and you get out of the pocket."
What happens then is Kolb not seeing open receivers, getting sacked and, when he does get the ball away, sometimes throwing inaccurately. In all, Jaworski said the QB is playing "very, very fast."
The disappointing thing is one would have thought Kolb's play would improve as the season went on, but since throwing two touchdowns in the season opener the 27-year- old has thrown for more interceptions (4) than touchdowns (3).
But Jaworski said it would be far too soon to give up on Kolb, even if he has been somewhat underwhelming.
Kolb has not done well for the Cardinals on a consistent basis, but it would behoove the team and its fans to have patience with their new signal caller.
"I think eventually he'll be fine," he said. "Like most quarterbacks you have to work through some of these slumps.
"Right now there's no question he's in a slump."
And once he breaks out of it?
"I think eventually you're going to have an outstanding quarterback in Arizona."
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!