Updated Oct 6, 2011 - 2:31 pm
ESPN NFL Insider says Kevin Kolb is in a slump
His struggles have brought about questions and concern over his play, and especially the QB's tendency to bail on the pocket prematurely and not go through progressions to find an open receiver.
"A little bit unsettled in the pocket, not staying with the progressions, sometimes feeling that pressure," ESPN NFL Insider Ron Jaworski told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "You would call that 'cabin fever,' you feel that pressure and you get out of the pocket."
What happens then is Kolb not seeing open receivers, getting sacked and, when he does get the ball away, sometimes throwing inaccurately. In all, Jaworski said the QB is playing "very, very fast."
The disappointing thing is one would have thought Kolb's play would improve as the season went on, but since throwing two touchdowns in the season opener the 27-year- old has thrown for more interceptions (4) than touchdowns (3).
But Jaworski said it would be far too soon to give up on Kolb, even if he has been somewhat underwhelming.
Kolb has not done well for the Cardinals on a consistent basis, but it would behoove the team and its fans to have patience with their new signal caller.
"I think eventually he'll be fine," he said. "Like most quarterbacks you have to work through some of these slumps.
"Right now there's no question he's in a slump."
And once he breaks out of it?
"I think eventually you're going to have an outstanding quarterback in Arizona."
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.