Updated Oct 7, 2011 - 2:51 pm
Nicked and bruised Cardinals feeling pressure to win
Some of the injured include Joey Porter, Early Doucet, Todd Heap, A.J. Jefferson and Michael Adams, all of whom were limited in practice at some point this week.
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt believes the injuries are typical at this point of the season.
"This time of the year even though it's still early in the season you have a lot of nicks and bruises," Whisenhunt said. "But our guys have rallied earlier in the week we had a lot guys missing and today we had a lot more guys practicing and feeling better so that's just the cycle this time of year"
The possible biggest injury to the team could be Heap, as the tight end is listed as questionable and will be a game time decision Sunday. If Heap can't go Whisenhunt is confident in rookie Rob Housler to fill in.
"You've got young players at some point you've got to play them and they've got to learn," Whisenhunt said. "Rob is a talented young player we saw a lot of things in preseason and you know this is a tough defense that you have to go up against, but if he has to then we expect him to hold up."
Another key injury is punter David Zastudil, who has a sore knee and is uncertain if he'll play Sunday. The team signed former Cardinal punter Ben Graham as a backup if Zastudil can't go.
Whisenhunt said Graham still has some rust to shake off but should be ready to go for Sunday, if he is needed.
Beanie Wells has also battled injuries this season and one of his backups, Chester Taylor, is making progress since joining the team prior to the season opener.
"You see a lot more confidence and decisiveness in his runs," Whisenhunt said. "He does a nice job in the protections and pass game as far as check downs and screens so I feel comfortable with Chester."
The Cardinals travel to Minnesota Sunday and are looking to get their first road win this season. The team struggles on the road date back to last season as the team has dropped nine straight games away from University of Phoenix Stadium.
Whisenhunt knows that it is a must for the team to come away with a win in order to get this season back on track.
"Is there a sense of urgency with this team, absolutely," Whisenhunt said. "Our guys feel it and hopefully that's the way we'll play Sunday."
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.
- Itís Paulís Call with Paul Calvisi! - Friday April 4The rat pack is on the loose!