Updated Oct 7, 2011 - 2:51 pm
Nicked and bruised Cardinals feeling pressure to win
Some of the injured include Joey Porter, Early Doucet, Todd Heap, A.J. Jefferson and Michael Adams, all of whom were limited in practice at some point this week.
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt believes the injuries are typical at this point of the season.
"This time of the year even though it's still early in the season you have a lot of nicks and bruises," Whisenhunt said. "But our guys have rallied earlier in the week we had a lot guys missing and today we had a lot more guys practicing and feeling better so that's just the cycle this time of year"
The possible biggest injury to the team could be Heap, as the tight end is listed as questionable and will be a game time decision Sunday. If Heap can't go Whisenhunt is confident in rookie Rob Housler to fill in.
"You've got young players at some point you've got to play them and they've got to learn," Whisenhunt said. "Rob is a talented young player we saw a lot of things in preseason and you know this is a tough defense that you have to go up against, but if he has to then we expect him to hold up."
Another key injury is punter David Zastudil, who has a sore knee and is uncertain if he'll play Sunday. The team signed former Cardinal punter Ben Graham as a backup if Zastudil can't go.
Whisenhunt said Graham still has some rust to shake off but should be ready to go for Sunday, if he is needed.
Beanie Wells has also battled injuries this season and one of his backups, Chester Taylor, is making progress since joining the team prior to the season opener.
"You see a lot more confidence and decisiveness in his runs," Whisenhunt said. "He does a nice job in the protections and pass game as far as check downs and screens so I feel comfortable with Chester."
The Cardinals travel to Minnesota Sunday and are looking to get their first road win this season. The team struggles on the road date back to last season as the team has dropped nine straight games away from University of Phoenix Stadium.
Whisenhunt knows that it is a must for the team to come away with a win in order to get this season back on track.
"Is there a sense of urgency with this team, absolutely," Whisenhunt said. "Our guys feel it and hopefully that's the way we'll play Sunday."
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.