Updated Oct 10, 2011 - 4:31 pm
Cardinals working hard, just not showing results
Well it should. The Arizona Cardinals dropped their fourth straight game Sunday, this time to the formally winless Vikings.
The picture of players dropping their heads in disappointment has become all to familiar for fans.
This time last season the Cardinals were 3-2 heading into the bye week, but the wheels fell off from there. However that 3-2 record is something this year's would be happy to have.
Instead the team is 1-4 and scrambling for answers, which Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt believes are already on the team.
"I like guys on our football team," Whisenhunt said. "We got a mix of young guys that need reps and work. We're going to continue to work the way that we know can be successful for us."
Whisenhunt believes the key to improving is by putting in more work. So with this being the team's bye week, there is plenty of time for doing just that.
"We're going to work on a lot of the things that we're having issues with right now as far as being able to make plays," Whisenhunt said about what the team will work on during the bye. "A lot of the situations and focused areas that we haven't been able to get reps on is what we'll work on in this short time this week."
Whisenhunt also said that many of the players have already been putting in extra time the past few weeks.
That contradicts what quarterback Kevin Kolb had to say after the game Sunday. Kolb commented that some guys need to put in more work.
"I guess maybe he's talking about doing even more," Whisenhunt said. "They've been meeting after practice, before practice, been doing a lot of extra work on their own in addition to what we've been doing. I didn't hear it but I guess his message was that we've got to put even more in and get on the same page, it's good that your quarterback's saying that."
Even if the team has put in more work the past two weeks there still haven't been any positive results. Whisenhunt knows all that work is for naught if the team can't produce wins.
"It's easy to say we're working hard at it, we are, our guys are working," Whisenhunt said. "But we're not making the plays on the field; we're leaving a lot of things out there that could help us win games. All we can do is continue to focus on what we know works."
The question is what do they know works?
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!