Updated Oct 12, 2011 - 10:38 pm
Bidwill: Time for Super Bowl to come back
After losing out in two previous years to Indianapolis and New Orleans, the Cardinals put together a presentation that will bring the Super Bowl to the state of Arizona for a third time.
Arizona Cardinals President Michael Bidwill was on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf show to celebrate the awarding of Super Bowl XLIX in 2015.
"This is going to be great for Arizona, I'm just so excited for the whole state to get this game back," Bidwill said.
The last time Arizona hosted the Super Bowl was in 2008 at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale.
"It was time for it to come back to Arizona," Bidwill said. "I think we're the best destination for it."
Bidwill cited poor timing as part of the reason why the previous two attempts to bring the Super Bowl back failed.
Indianapolis had just built a new stadium and New Orleans beat out Arizona as part of the Hurricane Katrina recovery effort.
"There was a lot of emotion behind the Indianapolis bid and the bid for New Orleans," Bidwill said.
According to Bidwill, the Super Bowl in 2008 had more than a $500 million dollar economic impact and Super Bowl XLIX is projected to bring in even more.
"The greater Phoenix area is really built for a mega- event," Bidwill said. "We can host the world's greatest sporting event and it is exciting that it's coming back to Arizona for the third time."
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.