Updated Oct 12, 2011 - 10:38 pm
Bidwill: Time for Super Bowl to come back
After losing out in two previous years to Indianapolis and New Orleans, the Cardinals put together a presentation that will bring the Super Bowl to the state of Arizona for a third time.
Arizona Cardinals President Michael Bidwill was on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf show to celebrate the awarding of Super Bowl XLIX in 2015.
"This is going to be great for Arizona, I'm just so excited for the whole state to get this game back," Bidwill said.
The last time Arizona hosted the Super Bowl was in 2008 at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale.
"It was time for it to come back to Arizona," Bidwill said. "I think we're the best destination for it."
Bidwill cited poor timing as part of the reason why the previous two attempts to bring the Super Bowl back failed.
Indianapolis had just built a new stadium and New Orleans beat out Arizona as part of the Hurricane Katrina recovery effort.
"There was a lot of emotion behind the Indianapolis bid and the bid for New Orleans," Bidwill said.
According to Bidwill, the Super Bowl in 2008 had more than a $500 million dollar economic impact and Super Bowl XLIX is projected to bring in even more.
"The greater Phoenix area is really built for a mega- event," Bidwill said. "We can host the world's greatest sporting event and it is exciting that it's coming back to Arizona for the third time."
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.