Updated Oct 12, 2011 - 10:38 pm
Bidwill: Time for Super Bowl to come back
After losing out in two previous years to Indianapolis and New Orleans, the Cardinals put together a presentation that will bring the Super Bowl to the state of Arizona for a third time.
Arizona Cardinals President Michael Bidwill was on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf show to celebrate the awarding of Super Bowl XLIX in 2015.
"This is going to be great for Arizona, I'm just so excited for the whole state to get this game back," Bidwill said.
The last time Arizona hosted the Super Bowl was in 2008 at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale.
"It was time for it to come back to Arizona," Bidwill said. "I think we're the best destination for it."
Bidwill cited poor timing as part of the reason why the previous two attempts to bring the Super Bowl back failed.
Indianapolis had just built a new stadium and New Orleans beat out Arizona as part of the Hurricane Katrina recovery effort.
"There was a lot of emotion behind the Indianapolis bid and the bid for New Orleans," Bidwill said.
According to Bidwill, the Super Bowl in 2008 had more than a $500 million dollar economic impact and Super Bowl XLIX is projected to bring in even more.
"The greater Phoenix area is really built for a mega- event," Bidwill said. "We can host the world's greatest sporting event and it is exciting that it's coming back to Arizona for the third time."
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.