Updated Oct 12, 2011 - 3:34 pm
For the Cardinals accountability is key
Players and coaches believe that when every player is accountable -- especially after a loss -- winning becomes easier.
"If everybody has accountability, if everyone does their job, we win football games," quarterback Kevin Kolb said. "It's hard to get that many guys to do it; everybody has different personalities. It's our job to step up and have some self accountability."
Kolb knows that "everybody" includes himself, noting that he too needs to improve.
However, head coach Ken Whisenhunt doesn't attribute the team's struggles to a lack of effort, instead saying the level of focus must be raised.
"When you talk about 1-4 and how do we get out of that, then you got to focus on things," Whisenhunt said. "That's what we're talking about, making sure we're working on the details, that we're holding each guy accountable that they're doing it right in practice. If we can put greater emphasis on that and that has success for us in the games then we've accomplished what we set out to do."
The lack of an offseason hurt the Cardinals from a continuity standpoint, but linebacker Joey Porter knows the players can no longer make excuses.
"This isn't the first time a player has been put in a sticky situation as a professional; you're supposed to be ready to handle all situations," Porter said. "Nothing is going to be out there perfect so when you face adversity you just got to be ready to go do it and I think that's where we are now."
To sum it all up, when players become more accountable the mistakes start disappear and the finer details are ironed out.
Good in theory and, according to Kolb, good in practice. The signal caller believes the team got some good work in during the bye week.
"It's the most impressive two days of work I think we've had so far," Kolb said. "The urgency level is up and everybody is just playing faster, so we got to make sure after the break we continue and have that same motivation."
The team will find out if this accountability theme pays off as they welcome the Pittsburgh Steelers to University of Phoenix Stadium on October 23.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!