Updated Oct 24, 2011 - 12:41 pm
Don't expect the Cardinals to go RB shopping
Running back Beanie Wells left the game with a right knee injury in the second quarter and did not return.
Alfonso Smith took over the spot and ran for 17 yards and a touchdown on five carries.
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt announced Monday morning that Wells would not require surgery, but didn't offer many details other than that.
"I don't want to get into the specifics of what it is," Whisenhunt said. "I'm not going to put a timeframe on it, because I don't want to set the young man up for failure."
So the Cardinals could be looking at life without Wells when they head to Baltimore to take on the Ravens next Sunday. Does that mean that they'll scour the waiver wire to see what's out there in terms of help at the position if Wells can't go?
"No, I'm comfortable with the guys that we've got," the head coach stated. "I think Alfonso has shown that he can do some good things for us. Obviously having LaRod (Stephens-Howling) back a hundred percent helps, and Chester (Taylor) is a lot more comfortable with where we are offensively right now."
Wells did miss a game earlier this season--a loss at Seattle. Taylor got the start, but was replaced early in that game by Smith, who ran for 54 yards.
In all, Wells has accounted for 72% of the Cardinals' rushing offense this season.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- The Pulse: Cardinals fans most excited to see division rivals
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.