Updated Oct 24, 2011 - 12:41 pm
Don't expect the Cardinals to go RB shopping
Running back Beanie Wells left the game with a right knee injury in the second quarter and did not return.
Alfonso Smith took over the spot and ran for 17 yards and a touchdown on five carries.
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt announced Monday morning that Wells would not require surgery, but didn't offer many details other than that.
"I don't want to get into the specifics of what it is," Whisenhunt said. "I'm not going to put a timeframe on it, because I don't want to set the young man up for failure."
So the Cardinals could be looking at life without Wells when they head to Baltimore to take on the Ravens next Sunday. Does that mean that they'll scour the waiver wire to see what's out there in terms of help at the position if Wells can't go?
"No, I'm comfortable with the guys that we've got," the head coach stated. "I think Alfonso has shown that he can do some good things for us. Obviously having LaRod (Stephens-Howling) back a hundred percent helps, and Chester (Taylor) is a lot more comfortable with where we are offensively right now."
Wells did miss a game earlier this season--a loss at Seattle. Taylor got the start, but was replaced early in that game by Smith, who ran for 54 yards.
In all, Wells has accounted for 72% of the Cardinals' rushing offense this season.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b