Updated Oct 24, 2011 - 12:41 pm
Don't expect the Cardinals to go RB shopping
Running back Beanie Wells left the game with a right knee injury in the second quarter and did not return.
Alfonso Smith took over the spot and ran for 17 yards and a touchdown on five carries.
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt announced Monday morning that Wells would not require surgery, but didn't offer many details other than that.
"I don't want to get into the specifics of what it is," Whisenhunt said. "I'm not going to put a timeframe on it, because I don't want to set the young man up for failure."
So the Cardinals could be looking at life without Wells when they head to Baltimore to take on the Ravens next Sunday. Does that mean that they'll scour the waiver wire to see what's out there in terms of help at the position if Wells can't go?
"No, I'm comfortable with the guys that we've got," the head coach stated. "I think Alfonso has shown that he can do some good things for us. Obviously having LaRod (Stephens-Howling) back a hundred percent helps, and Chester (Taylor) is a lot more comfortable with where we are offensively right now."
Wells did miss a game earlier this season--a loss at Seattle. Taylor got the start, but was replaced early in that game by Smith, who ran for 54 yards.
In all, Wells has accounted for 72% of the Cardinals' rushing offense this season.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!