Updated Oct 24, 2011 - 12:41 pm
Don't expect the Cardinals to go RB shopping
Running back Beanie Wells left the game with a right knee injury in the second quarter and did not return.
Alfonso Smith took over the spot and ran for 17 yards and a touchdown on five carries.
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt announced Monday morning that Wells would not require surgery, but didn't offer many details other than that.
"I don't want to get into the specifics of what it is," Whisenhunt said. "I'm not going to put a timeframe on it, because I don't want to set the young man up for failure."
So the Cardinals could be looking at life without Wells when they head to Baltimore to take on the Ravens next Sunday. Does that mean that they'll scour the waiver wire to see what's out there in terms of help at the position if Wells can't go?
"No, I'm comfortable with the guys that we've got," the head coach stated. "I think Alfonso has shown that he can do some good things for us. Obviously having LaRod (Stephens-Howling) back a hundred percent helps, and Chester (Taylor) is a lot more comfortable with where we are offensively right now."
Wells did miss a game earlier this season--a loss at Seattle. Taylor got the start, but was replaced early in that game by Smith, who ran for 54 yards.
In all, Wells has accounted for 72% of the Cardinals' rushing offense this season.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.