Updated Oct 24, 2011 - 12:41 pm
Don't expect the Cardinals to go RB shopping
Running back Beanie Wells left the game with a right knee injury in the second quarter and did not return.
Alfonso Smith took over the spot and ran for 17 yards and a touchdown on five carries.
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt announced Monday morning that Wells would not require surgery, but didn't offer many details other than that.
"I don't want to get into the specifics of what it is," Whisenhunt said. "I'm not going to put a timeframe on it, because I don't want to set the young man up for failure."
So the Cardinals could be looking at life without Wells when they head to Baltimore to take on the Ravens next Sunday. Does that mean that they'll scour the waiver wire to see what's out there in terms of help at the position if Wells can't go?
"No, I'm comfortable with the guys that we've got," the head coach stated. "I think Alfonso has shown that he can do some good things for us. Obviously having LaRod (Stephens-Howling) back a hundred percent helps, and Chester (Taylor) is a lot more comfortable with where we are offensively right now."
Wells did miss a game earlier this season--a loss at Seattle. Taylor got the start, but was replaced early in that game by Smith, who ran for 54 yards.
In all, Wells has accounted for 72% of the Cardinals' rushing offense this season.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Franz's 2013 NFL Power Poll - Week 15
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 13Go inside the Film Room with Wolf to analyze the Cardinals-Titans matchup.
- Wolf's 5 Star NFL Game - Friday December 13What is the must-see NFL game of the weekend?
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 13Does Shanahan want out of DC? Will Rodgers play again this season? Can the Patriots survive without
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.