Kolb's footwork catching up to Cardinals offense
According to Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb, getting his footwork accustomed to the Cards' offense has been a very delicate act.
"It's a fine line you've gotta walk and I'm trying to walk it as fine as I can," Kolb said Wednesday.
Apparently, Kolb is used to a standard seven-step drop, hitting his back foot and tossing the ball. But that only works in a team that allows for a quarterback to be consistently in the same spot, like the Eagles, and not the Cardinals, who have encouraged their QBs to be creative, mobile and think on the fly, especially after the Kurt Warner era.
"Here, it could be a three-step, five-step or seven-step [drop] on any given play, depending on the look we get," said Kolb.
The different drop patterns stem from the Kolb looking to set his feet in preparation to throw to a certain route, which the Cardinals tend to vary. It may seem a simple change, but Kolb said he has been dealing with it since he's gotten here.
"It's nothing new, it's just a matter of doing that when the bullets are flying and making sure those bullets don't affect you and getting out when you have to and staying in when you have to," said Kolb.
The Cards' QB will have his work cut out for him in Week 8, when the Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, Ray Lewis and the rest of the Ravens defense will look to take advantage of any misstep by Kolb.
- ESPN's Clayton: Cardinals were a free agency winner
- Football player Daryl Washington pleads not guilty
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington pleads 'not guilty'
- CBSSports.com writer: Cardinals' Cooper to have 'big impact' during rookie season
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals QB Carson Palmer a 'stopgap'
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.