Updated Oct 27, 2011 - 6:15 pm
Kolb's footwork catching up to Cardinals offense
According to Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb, getting his footwork accustomed to the Cards' offense has been a very delicate act.
"It's a fine line you've gotta walk and I'm trying to walk it as fine as I can," Kolb said Wednesday.
Apparently, Kolb is used to a standard seven-step drop, hitting his back foot and tossing the ball. But that only works in a team that allows for a quarterback to be consistently in the same spot, like the Eagles, and not the Cardinals, who have encouraged their QBs to be creative, mobile and think on the fly, especially after the Kurt Warner era.
"Here, it could be a three-step, five-step or seven-step [drop] on any given play, depending on the look we get," said Kolb.
The different drop patterns stem from the Kolb looking to set his feet in preparation to throw to a certain route, which the Cardinals tend to vary. It may seem a simple change, but Kolb said he has been dealing with it since he's gotten here.
"It's nothing new, it's just a matter of doing that when the bullets are flying and making sure those bullets don't affect you and getting out when you have to and staying in when you have to," said Kolb.
The Cards' QB will have his work cut out for him in Week 8, when the Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, Ray Lewis and the rest of the Ravens defense will look to take advantage of any misstep by Kolb.
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Able to walk again, Arizona Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper takes another step toward return
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu front-runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year honor
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 4
- Tight ends torching Arizona Cardinals' defense, but it's not as bad as you think
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.
- Bickley Blast 12-2-13 - Monday December 2Bickley Blast: Cardinals officials
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 2A look at what unfolded between the Cardinals and Eagles in Philadelphia.