Updated Oct 27, 2011 - 6:15 pm
Kolb's footwork catching up to Cardinals offense
According to Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb, getting his footwork accustomed to the Cards' offense has been a very delicate act.
"It's a fine line you've gotta walk and I'm trying to walk it as fine as I can," Kolb said Wednesday.
Apparently, Kolb is used to a standard seven-step drop, hitting his back foot and tossing the ball. But that only works in a team that allows for a quarterback to be consistently in the same spot, like the Eagles, and not the Cardinals, who have encouraged their QBs to be creative, mobile and think on the fly, especially after the Kurt Warner era.
"Here, it could be a three-step, five-step or seven-step [drop] on any given play, depending on the look we get," said Kolb.
The different drop patterns stem from the Kolb looking to set his feet in preparation to throw to a certain route, which the Cardinals tend to vary. It may seem a simple change, but Kolb said he has been dealing with it since he's gotten here.
"It's nothing new, it's just a matter of doing that when the bullets are flying and making sure those bullets don't affect you and getting out when you have to and staying in when you have to," said Kolb.
The Cards' QB will have his work cut out for him in Week 8, when the Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, Ray Lewis and the rest of the Ravens defense will look to take advantage of any misstep by Kolb.
- Arizona Cardinals RB Stepfan Taylor 'expecting more of a role' in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: Carson Chats - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Arizona Cardinals center Lyle Sendlein to miss 3 weeks after suffering calf injury
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.