Updated Oct 31, 2011 - 7:35 pm
Cardinals not going to make changes just for the sake of it
When you are 1-6, you search for answers that will solve some of the problems facing your team. Substituting in new players at the depth chart is a common place to start.
"If there is a chance to make a change that will make us better, you're darn tootin' we'll do that," Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf show. "But you can't make a change for the sake of making a change. You don't want to put yourself in a worse position."
It has been a work in progress for the Cardinals this season and the results have been ugly. A new quarterback, a new defensive scheme and a young defensive backfield have Whisenhunt doing a lot more correcting than actual coaching.
"We have to continue to hold these guys' feet to the fire to make sure they do it right because when they do it right, we're a good football team," Whisenhunt said.
Four out of the Cardinals' six losses this season have been decided by four points or less. A sign that, despite the record, the Cardinals are headed in the right direction.
"When you have so many games that are decided by so few points, it generally means that you have a competitive team that is close," Whisenhunt said. "And if you can clean up some of your mistakes and make a couple more plays it can turn very quickly."
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.