Updated Oct 31, 2011 - 6:44 pm
Whisenhunt should not be fired anytime soon
If you already consider yourself on the "fire Whisenhunt" bandwagon, you might want to get comfortable.
Arizona Sports 620's Doug Franz and Ron Wolfley share the opinion that Whisenhunt won't be going anywhere else soon.
"It seems pretty clear that the coaching staff made a terrible mistake this preseason thinking they could implement everything they wanted to," Franz said. "And now you have a bunch of chickens with their head cutoff running around on the field and it's a little bit late in the game to try to make it all better."
Franz cited last season's Derek Anderson experiment that led to a 5-11 record and this year's 1-6 start with Kevin Kolb as two egregious mistakes from the Whisenhunt staff.
"But I think to act like he can't overcome them in the future is a mistake," Franz said. "I think if you fire him he'll be a head coach within the next 48 hours somewhere else and he would win."
Whisenhunt led the Cardinals to their only Super Bowl appearance while in Arizona in 2008. The next season the team went 10-6 and lost in the second round of the playoffs.
Since then, it has been all downhill.
To define an otherwise successful tenure based off of two quarterbacks named Anderson and Kolb seems a bit irrational.
Whisenhunt will need to show some improvements if he wants to shed the hot seat label before heading into the off season.
"There is no way Ken Whisenhunt will be fired," Ron Wolfley said. "But when you are 1-6 you are in full blown evaluation mode. And he will be the one making the decisions.
And I do believe, down the road, if it stays like this right now, if there is not a direct and quick and violent turnaround, I will tell you who knows what's going to happen."
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest-paid CB
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.