Updated Oct 31, 2011 - 6:44 pm
Whisenhunt should not be fired anytime soon
If you already consider yourself on the "fire Whisenhunt" bandwagon, you might want to get comfortable.
Arizona Sports 620's Doug Franz and Ron Wolfley share the opinion that Whisenhunt won't be going anywhere else soon.
"It seems pretty clear that the coaching staff made a terrible mistake this preseason thinking they could implement everything they wanted to," Franz said. "And now you have a bunch of chickens with their head cutoff running around on the field and it's a little bit late in the game to try to make it all better."
Franz cited last season's Derek Anderson experiment that led to a 5-11 record and this year's 1-6 start with Kevin Kolb as two egregious mistakes from the Whisenhunt staff.
"But I think to act like he can't overcome them in the future is a mistake," Franz said. "I think if you fire him he'll be a head coach within the next 48 hours somewhere else and he would win."
Whisenhunt led the Cardinals to their only Super Bowl appearance while in Arizona in 2008. The next season the team went 10-6 and lost in the second round of the playoffs.
Since then, it has been all downhill.
To define an otherwise successful tenure based off of two quarterbacks named Anderson and Kolb seems a bit irrational.
Whisenhunt will need to show some improvements if he wants to shed the hot seat label before heading into the off season.
"There is no way Ken Whisenhunt will be fired," Ron Wolfley said. "But when you are 1-6 you are in full blown evaluation mode. And he will be the one making the decisions.
And I do believe, down the road, if it stays like this right now, if there is not a direct and quick and violent turnaround, I will tell you who knows what's going to happen."
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.