Updated Oct 31, 2011 - 6:44 pm
Whisenhunt should not be fired anytime soon
If you already consider yourself on the "fire Whisenhunt" bandwagon, you might want to get comfortable.
Arizona Sports 620's Doug Franz and Ron Wolfley share the opinion that Whisenhunt won't be going anywhere else soon.
"It seems pretty clear that the coaching staff made a terrible mistake this preseason thinking they could implement everything they wanted to," Franz said. "And now you have a bunch of chickens with their head cutoff running around on the field and it's a little bit late in the game to try to make it all better."
Franz cited last season's Derek Anderson experiment that led to a 5-11 record and this year's 1-6 start with Kevin Kolb as two egregious mistakes from the Whisenhunt staff.
"But I think to act like he can't overcome them in the future is a mistake," Franz said. "I think if you fire him he'll be a head coach within the next 48 hours somewhere else and he would win."
Whisenhunt led the Cardinals to their only Super Bowl appearance while in Arizona in 2008. The next season the team went 10-6 and lost in the second round of the playoffs.
Since then, it has been all downhill.
To define an otherwise successful tenure based off of two quarterbacks named Anderson and Kolb seems a bit irrational.
Whisenhunt will need to show some improvements if he wants to shed the hot seat label before heading into the off season.
"There is no way Ken Whisenhunt will be fired," Ron Wolfley said. "But when you are 1-6 you are in full blown evaluation mode. And he will be the one making the decisions.
And I do believe, down the road, if it stays like this right now, if there is not a direct and quick and violent turnaround, I will tell you who knows what's going to happen."
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Arizona Cardinals 2014 Free Agent Headquarters
- Arizona Cardinals sign free agent tight end John Carlson
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!