Updated Oct 31, 2011 - 6:44 pm
Whisenhunt should not be fired anytime soon
If you already consider yourself on the "fire Whisenhunt" bandwagon, you might want to get comfortable.
Arizona Sports 620's Doug Franz and Ron Wolfley share the opinion that Whisenhunt won't be going anywhere else soon.
"It seems pretty clear that the coaching staff made a terrible mistake this preseason thinking they could implement everything they wanted to," Franz said. "And now you have a bunch of chickens with their head cutoff running around on the field and it's a little bit late in the game to try to make it all better."
Franz cited last season's Derek Anderson experiment that led to a 5-11 record and this year's 1-6 start with Kevin Kolb as two egregious mistakes from the Whisenhunt staff.
"But I think to act like he can't overcome them in the future is a mistake," Franz said. "I think if you fire him he'll be a head coach within the next 48 hours somewhere else and he would win."
Whisenhunt led the Cardinals to their only Super Bowl appearance while in Arizona in 2008. The next season the team went 10-6 and lost in the second round of the playoffs.
Since then, it has been all downhill.
To define an otherwise successful tenure based off of two quarterbacks named Anderson and Kolb seems a bit irrational.
Whisenhunt will need to show some improvements if he wants to shed the hot seat label before heading into the off season.
"There is no way Ken Whisenhunt will be fired," Ron Wolfley said. "But when you are 1-6 you are in full blown evaluation mode. And he will be the one making the decisions.
And I do believe, down the road, if it stays like this right now, if there is not a direct and quick and violent turnaround, I will tell you who knows what's going to happen."
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Franz's 2013 NFL Power Poll - Week 15
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.