Updated Nov 1, 2011 - 11:25 am
Cards o-line could face Long afternoon
Quarterback Kevin Kolb has been bludgeoned on a weekly basis, and now his status for Sunday's game against St. Louis is in doubt with a case of turf toe he suffered early in last Sunday's loss to Baltimore.
One interesting note on the Cardinals' pass blocking woes; they've faced an elite pass rusher in each of their seven games. Another interesting/troubling note; every single one of those elite pass rushers has registered at least one sack.
In week one, it was Carolina's Charles Johnson (1 sack). Then it was Washington's Brian Orakpo and Seattle's Chris Clemons (each 1 sack). Osi Umenyiora of the Giants, Minnesota's Jared Allen and LaMarr Woodley of Pittsburgh each dropped the passer twice. And of course, we saw Baltimore's Terrell Suggs wreak havoc in the Arizona backfield, sacking Kolb once in addition to his plethora of disruptive defensive plays.
On Monday, head coach Ken Whisenhunt hinted at changes on the offensive line for this week's game against the St. Louis Rams.
"We gave up too many sacks, that's a problem, that's something we've got to address," Whisenhunt said.
That's the good news. The bad news is, no matter who lines up in front of the Cardinals' quarterback on Sunday there's another disruptive pass rusher on his way to town, St. Louis defensive end Chris Long.
Long, the four-year veteran who was the 2nd overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, has six sacks on the year and is coming off a 3-sack performance in the Rams' improbable 31-21 win over New Orleans.
And considering the way the elite pass rushers have fared against the Cardinals, it's also bad news Arizona still has to face Philadelphia's Jason Babin and Cullen Jenkins, San Francisco's Aldon Smith (twice) and Dallas' DeMarcus Ware, who all currently rank in the top six in sacks in the NFC.
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!