Updated Nov 1, 2011 - 11:25 am
Cards o-line could face Long afternoon
Quarterback Kevin Kolb has been bludgeoned on a weekly basis, and now his status for Sunday's game against St. Louis is in doubt with a case of turf toe he suffered early in last Sunday's loss to Baltimore.
One interesting note on the Cardinals' pass blocking woes; they've faced an elite pass rusher in each of their seven games. Another interesting/troubling note; every single one of those elite pass rushers has registered at least one sack.
In week one, it was Carolina's Charles Johnson (1 sack). Then it was Washington's Brian Orakpo and Seattle's Chris Clemons (each 1 sack). Osi Umenyiora of the Giants, Minnesota's Jared Allen and LaMarr Woodley of Pittsburgh each dropped the passer twice. And of course, we saw Baltimore's Terrell Suggs wreak havoc in the Arizona backfield, sacking Kolb once in addition to his plethora of disruptive defensive plays.
On Monday, head coach Ken Whisenhunt hinted at changes on the offensive line for this week's game against the St. Louis Rams.
"We gave up too many sacks, that's a problem, that's something we've got to address," Whisenhunt said.
That's the good news. The bad news is, no matter who lines up in front of the Cardinals' quarterback on Sunday there's another disruptive pass rusher on his way to town, St. Louis defensive end Chris Long.
Long, the four-year veteran who was the 2nd overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, has six sacks on the year and is coming off a 3-sack performance in the Rams' improbable 31-21 win over New Orleans.
And considering the way the elite pass rushers have fared against the Cardinals, it's also bad news Arizona still has to face Philadelphia's Jason Babin and Cullen Jenkins, San Francisco's Aldon Smith (twice) and Dallas' DeMarcus Ware, who all currently rank in the top six in sacks in the NFC.
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!