Updated Nov 2, 2011 - 10:08 am
Misses in the draft are costing the Cardinals
That the Cardinals are struggling now should be no surprise, as the team has not landed enough impact players in recent years.
According to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic, mistakes in 2003, 2006, 2007 and 2009 really stand out.
Miss on a quarterback (Matt Leinart, first round, 2006), and a team finds itself trying to solve the problem via free agency (Derek Anderson) or trade (Kevin Kolb).
Miss on an outside linebacker (Cody Brown, second round, 2009), and a team has to gamble that an old free agent (Joey Porter) has something left.
Miss on a left tackle (Levi Brown, first round, 2007), and a team might be continually reminded that it passed on a star running back (Adrian Peterson).
To be fair, it would not be right to point the finger at Ken Whisenhunt, as Somers notes. For all the praise he gets as a talent evaluator, Dennis Green really had only one excellent draft for the team, and that was his first when he took Larry Fitzgearld, Karlos Dansby, Darnell Dockett and Antonio Smith.
Other Green drafts netted J.J. Arrington, Eric Green, Darryl Blackstock, Elton Brown, Leonard Pope, Brandon Johnson and the aforementioned Leinart, among others.
However, things didn't really get much better under Whisenhunt, who has just Brown to show for his first draft, Calais Campbell, Early Doucet and Brandon Keith from his second and, of his third, can only claim Beanie Wells and LaRod Stephens-Howling as impact players. In total the Cardinals have drafted 35 players with Whiz at the helm, of which only 21 are still with the team and just nine are current starters.
It's too soon to properly judge the 2010 and 2011 drafts, but early returns do give reason for optimism.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.