Updated Nov 2, 2011 - 10:08 am
Misses in the draft are costing the Cardinals
That the Cardinals are struggling now should be no surprise, as the team has not landed enough impact players in recent years.
According to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic, mistakes in 2003, 2006, 2007 and 2009 really stand out.
Miss on a quarterback (Matt Leinart, first round, 2006), and a team finds itself trying to solve the problem via free agency (Derek Anderson) or trade (Kevin Kolb).
Miss on an outside linebacker (Cody Brown, second round, 2009), and a team has to gamble that an old free agent (Joey Porter) has something left.
Miss on a left tackle (Levi Brown, first round, 2007), and a team might be continually reminded that it passed on a star running back (Adrian Peterson).
To be fair, it would not be right to point the finger at Ken Whisenhunt, as Somers notes. For all the praise he gets as a talent evaluator, Dennis Green really had only one excellent draft for the team, and that was his first when he took Larry Fitzgearld, Karlos Dansby, Darnell Dockett and Antonio Smith.
Other Green drafts netted J.J. Arrington, Eric Green, Darryl Blackstock, Elton Brown, Leonard Pope, Brandon Johnson and the aforementioned Leinart, among others.
However, things didn't really get much better under Whisenhunt, who has just Brown to show for his first draft, Calais Campbell, Early Doucet and Brandon Keith from his second and, of his third, can only claim Beanie Wells and LaRod Stephens-Howling as impact players. In total the Cardinals have drafted 35 players with Whiz at the helm, of which only 21 are still with the team and just nine are current starters.
It's too soon to properly judge the 2010 and 2011 drafts, but early returns do give reason for optimism.
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.