Updated Nov 2, 2011 - 6:47 pm
What if Skelton plays and outshines Kolb?
But a turf-toe injury has prevented Kevin Kolb from practicing, and the QB may find himself watching the game from the sidelines for the first time this season.
Which brings us full circle to the Cardinals new annual tradition of the what-if quarterback dilemma.
What if back up quarterback John Skelton plays Sunday against the St. Louis Rams and plays out of his mind?
"Well then you have a lot of problems, of course, because the fan base is going to go nuts," Arizona Sports 620's Ron Wolfley said.
Even if Skelton does play better than Kolb has preformed this season, chances are very slim the team will create a quarterback controversy.
"I will tell you right now that I think the coaching staff and I think the players in that locker room and I also think the organization is behind Kevin," Wolfley said.
Wolfley cited the investment made in Kolb is too much to give up on him this early in the season.
"I don't think under any scenario, even if Skelton goes out there and lights it up, I think Kevin Kolb will be the starter the rest of the season," Wolfley said.
The Cardinals are last place in the division and may need to start looking ahead.
"When you have the 49ers at 6-1 and you are 1-6, right now, for all intents and purposes, the rest of the season is about developing Kevin Kolb," Wolfley said.
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.