Updated Nov 2, 2011 - 6:47 pm
What if Skelton plays and outshines Kolb?
But a turf-toe injury has prevented Kevin Kolb from practicing, and the QB may find himself watching the game from the sidelines for the first time this season.
Which brings us full circle to the Cardinals new annual tradition of the what-if quarterback dilemma.
What if back up quarterback John Skelton plays Sunday against the St. Louis Rams and plays out of his mind?
"Well then you have a lot of problems, of course, because the fan base is going to go nuts," Arizona Sports 620's Ron Wolfley said.
Even if Skelton does play better than Kolb has preformed this season, chances are very slim the team will create a quarterback controversy.
"I will tell you right now that I think the coaching staff and I think the players in that locker room and I also think the organization is behind Kevin," Wolfley said.
Wolfley cited the investment made in Kolb is too much to give up on him this early in the season.
"I don't think under any scenario, even if Skelton goes out there and lights it up, I think Kevin Kolb will be the starter the rest of the season," Wolfley said.
The Cardinals are last place in the division and may need to start looking ahead.
"When you have the 49ers at 6-1 and you are 1-6, right now, for all intents and purposes, the rest of the season is about developing Kevin Kolb," Wolfley said.
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.