Updated Nov 3, 2011 - 10:38 pm
Ken Whisenhunt: John Skelton is a ready replacement for Kevin Kolb
Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb may be battling a turf toe injury, but head coach Ken Whisenhunt has confidence in backup John Skelton should he need to start on Sunday against the St. Louis Rams.
"Last year, he didn't have any reps, hardly, in preseason and he didn't do anything during the season and then he was thrust into playing," said Whisenhunt of Skelton, who struggled last season. "It was hard enough for him to call a play in the huddle last year. Now, at least, he understands the concepts. He doesn't have to expend as much energy on making the correct call and he can focus it more on what his reads are, what he's got to do with the ball."
Whiz said that Skelton was a much better quarterback during this season's camp, not because of the stats he posted, but because of the way he handled himself in the huddle and on the field. With the Cardinals obviously struggling, a calm Skelton would be better than the Skelton we saw last year, who looked like a deer in a linebacker's headlights.
"Anytime you are thrust into it, it's a tough situation and you can learn from it and get better and that's what [Skelton] did," Whisenhunt said.
Despite Whiz talking up Skelton, he didn't deny that Kolb could still get the nod on Sunday.
"He's better today than he was yesterday," Whisenhunt said of Kolb. "We'll see. It comes down to if he can push off and run on it."
If he doesn't start, Kolb could still be called on in certain situations, despite not practicing all week, Whisenhunt said.
"I'd consider it," Whisenhunt said.
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?