Updated Nov 8, 2011 - 11:22 am
Cardinals still hampered by injuries
Moving forward the team has to deal with a number of key injuries to important players.
Kevin Kolb is battling turf toe and his status for this Sunday is still up in the air.
"Sounds cliché but we just got to see how it progresses," head coach Ken Whisenhunt said. "It's a very painful injury and it's very difficult especially for a quarterback to be able to drop and push off of and run out of the pocket to escape things. He made a lot of progress last week hopefully we do the same this week."
Beanie Wells, on the other hand, did play Sunday but was ineffective. The tailback has been battling a knee injury he suffered in the Pittsburgh loss. Wells has played through the injury for two straight weeks and Whisenhunt hopes the running back can continue to fight through it.
"If Beanie can run, protect himself and make his cuts, Beanie should play," Whisenhunt said. "Beanie has great desire to play and wants to play and when he's rolling our run game can be a factor."
Todd Heap was active Sunday, but that's about it. However, Whisenhunt is confident that Heap is very close to being 100 percent and, "there shouldn't be any issues going forward this week."
On the defensive side of the ball, cornerback Michael Adams suffered an unspecified injury Sunday which resulted in the player being carted off the field.
"Michael Adams appears to be fine," Whisenhunt said. "Obviously there's procedures that we'll have to go through to check him and make sure he's okay. It's good to see Michael up and not expecting to have any issues from that."
Adams' status is unknown for Sunday, but if he can't go that could put the Cardinals in a bind since other cornerbacks Greg Toler and Crezdon Butler are both on injured reserve, leaving the team with only Patrick Peterson, A.J. Jefferson and Richard Marshall. And Marshall has been filling in for an injured Kerry Rhodes at safety, so the secondary is stretched pretty thin.
If the Cardinals recent road struggles are any indication of what's in store on Sunday, the team is going to need all the help they can get.
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!