Updated Nov 8, 2011 - 12:08 pm
Patrick Peterson is the league's best returner
Originally published: Nov 8, 2011 - 10:52 am
Two of those touchdowns have won games for the Cardinals, and his average of 21.8 yards per return easily leads the league.
So maybe it should be no surprise that the Cardinals rookie is garnering recognition, including being named as the best kick returner by Chris Wesseling of NBCSports.com.
The explosive rookie has already tied the franchise's career record with three punt-return TDs, highlighted by a 99-yard score to beat the Rams in overtime. All three touchdowns have gone for more than 80 yards, leaving Peterson with a gaudy 21.8-yard average that will have punters avoiding him going forward.
Having a weapon like Peterson changes game plans, as teams will likely stop kicking towards him. That will lead to shorter punts and maybe more mistakes, giving the Cardinals better field position.
It's interesting to remember Peterson was drafted to play cornerback and not just return kicks, and the rookie is improving in that area too.
The fifth-overall pick out of LSU, the Cardinals appear to have a winner in this one.
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.