Updated Nov 8, 2011 - 12:08 pm
Patrick Peterson is the league's best returner
Originally published: Nov 8, 2011 - 10:52 am
Two of those touchdowns have won games for the Cardinals, and his average of 21.8 yards per return easily leads the league.
So maybe it should be no surprise that the Cardinals rookie is garnering recognition, including being named as the best kick returner by Chris Wesseling of NBCSports.com.
The explosive rookie has already tied the franchise's career record with three punt-return TDs, highlighted by a 99-yard score to beat the Rams in overtime. All three touchdowns have gone for more than 80 yards, leaving Peterson with a gaudy 21.8-yard average that will have punters avoiding him going forward.
Having a weapon like Peterson changes game plans, as teams will likely stop kicking towards him. That will lead to shorter punts and maybe more mistakes, giving the Cardinals better field position.
It's interesting to remember Peterson was drafted to play cornerback and not just return kicks, and the rookie is improving in that area too.
The fifth-overall pick out of LSU, the Cardinals appear to have a winner in this one.
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.