Updated Nov 11, 2011 - 6:42 am
Cardinals must re-sign Campbell to improve next season
The Cardinals are not having a memorable season on either side of the ball, but the defense would be even more forgettable without Calais Campbell going after the opposing quarterback.
The defensive end leads the team with five sacks; and even though 4.5 of those came against the Seahawks and Rams, Campbell's effort to pressure the quarterback can't be denied.
According to Word From the Birds Blog, Campbell and the coaching staff both want to see more. "A lot of times I didn't play as well as I could have. I feel like I could play so much better," Campbell said.
Still, with his contract running out at the end of the year, an extension is something that the Cardinals need to get done.
The Cardinals' Darnell Dockett agrees.
"We need to (resign him), and I trust Rod Graves and the organization, they'll do right by Calais," he said. "He's only got upside."
There doesn't seem to be anything in works yet, but as fans' attention shifts from the disappointment of this season to the possibilities for next year, expect that to change.
Teams aren't afraid when they come into Glendale, and they shouldn't be.
The Cardinals need to get better next season. The defense needs to get better, and they can't do that by letting the pieces that are working get away.
"When you are trying to develop a championship team, you can't just let guys leak out of here," Dockett said. "We are trying to get back to the Super Bowl and be a powerhouse team, we can't just work together, we also have to have the guys here, the weapons to get that done."
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.