Updated Nov 11, 2011 - 6:42 am
Cardinals must re-sign Campbell to improve next season
The Cardinals are not having a memorable season on either side of the ball, but the defense would be even more forgettable without Calais Campbell going after the opposing quarterback.
The defensive end leads the team with five sacks; and even though 4.5 of those came against the Seahawks and Rams, Campbell's effort to pressure the quarterback can't be denied.
According to Word From the Birds Blog, Campbell and the coaching staff both want to see more. "A lot of times I didn't play as well as I could have. I feel like I could play so much better," Campbell said.
Still, with his contract running out at the end of the year, an extension is something that the Cardinals need to get done.
The Cardinals' Darnell Dockett agrees.
"We need to (resign him), and I trust Rod Graves and the organization, they'll do right by Calais," he said. "He's only got upside."
There doesn't seem to be anything in works yet, but as fans' attention shifts from the disappointment of this season to the possibilities for next year, expect that to change.
Teams aren't afraid when they come into Glendale, and they shouldn't be.
The Cardinals need to get better next season. The defense needs to get better, and they can't do that by letting the pieces that are working get away.
"When you are trying to develop a championship team, you can't just let guys leak out of here," Dockett said. "We are trying to get back to the Super Bowl and be a powerhouse team, we can't just work together, we also have to have the guys here, the weapons to get that done."
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.