Updated Nov 11, 2011 - 6:42 am
Cardinals must re-sign Campbell to improve next season
The Cardinals are not having a memorable season on either side of the ball, but the defense would be even more forgettable without Calais Campbell going after the opposing quarterback.
The defensive end leads the team with five sacks; and even though 4.5 of those came against the Seahawks and Rams, Campbell's effort to pressure the quarterback can't be denied.
According to Word From the Birds Blog, Campbell and the coaching staff both want to see more. "A lot of times I didn't play as well as I could have. I feel like I could play so much better," Campbell said.
Still, with his contract running out at the end of the year, an extension is something that the Cardinals need to get done.
The Cardinals' Darnell Dockett agrees.
"We need to (resign him), and I trust Rod Graves and the organization, they'll do right by Calais," he said. "He's only got upside."
There doesn't seem to be anything in works yet, but as fans' attention shifts from the disappointment of this season to the possibilities for next year, expect that to change.
Teams aren't afraid when they come into Glendale, and they shouldn't be.
The Cardinals need to get better next season. The defense needs to get better, and they can't do that by letting the pieces that are working get away.
"When you are trying to develop a championship team, you can't just let guys leak out of here," Dockett said. "We are trying to get back to the Super Bowl and be a powerhouse team, we can't just work together, we also have to have the guys here, the weapons to get that done."
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals re-sign NT Alameda Ta'amu
- Arizona Cardinals hire former Olympic runner Roger Kingdom as assistant trainer
- Jay Feely sounds off on proposed extra point changes
- Kicker Jay Feely wants to be back with Arizona Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!