Updated Nov 10, 2011 - 3:05 pm
Kolb doesn't have to practice in order to play Sunday
But he has yet to get back on the practice field for the Cardinals, putting his status for Sunday's game in Philadelphia very much in doubt.
However, not making it to the practice field would not automatically rule him out for Sunday, according to Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt.
"I wouldn't say that he has to, but I would like for him to [practice]," Whisenhunt said. "It's all going to be a function of how much more he can do on his foot.
"He's made good progress but we have to make sure that he can still be able to drop and move."
With Kolb it's about physical limitations more than mental ones, according to the coach, because whoever the QB is Sunday needs to be able to move around in the pocket against an Eagles defense that is as strong as it is fast.
In fact, speed is one of the things Whisenhunt is worried most about.
"They're a fast team," he said. "You've got to understand that they're going to make some plays but you've just got to stay disciplined and not go crazy and get so wrapped up in them making a play that it affects how you operate your scheme because what that does is lead to more plays, and that's when you get into a problem."
Another thing that could pose a problem for the team, simply, is playing on the road. The Cardinals have lost 11 straight away from University of Phoenix Stadium, and few environments are as hostile as the one they -- and probably John Skelton -- are set to face Sunday.
"You don't ever know until you get in the heat of the battle, but he certainly appears to be much better prepared to handle that," Whisenhunt said of Skelton.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Arizona Cardinals sign wide receiver/kick returner Reggie Dunn
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday July 25ESPN NFL Insider John Clayton talks about Marshawn Lynch’s impending holdout.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?