Updated Nov 11, 2011 - 3:19 pm
Ray Horton hoping for 'Jordan Rules' with Patrick Peterson
However, the Cardinals selected him No. 5 overall because he was a standout cornerback at LSU, and they're hoping he can be a shutdown kind of player at the pro level.
Peterson has shown flashes, but has been held back by inexperience -- and penalties.
The corner has been flagged four times for pass interference and twice for holding Mike Sando's ESPN NFC West Blog, and even though passes aren't being caught yardage is still being gained. That has to stop.
"Hopefully the league will look and go, you know, he gets the same amount of respect, eventually, as the guy in New York, as the guy in Philadelphia, and they just don't call those type of things," defensive coordinator Ray Horton said. "Because if you do they catch every ball," he said.
Horton was talking about Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha, respectively, as corners who are allowed to play a physical style without being penalized.
So, Horton said he will not ask Peterson to tone down the aggression. Instead he thinks Peterson will gain the respect of officials, who will give him the benefit of the doubt on close calls.
"Hopefully they understand this guy can cover and he's going to be on the guy tight," Horton said. "I think it's kind of like 'Jordan Rules', you know, you start to understand that this guy is good and he's going to be on the guy because he's so good and he's getting tight coverage and he's just there all the time.
"They're probably not used to a young guy like that, he's got to be doing something different."
So in a way, Peterson is not the only one learning out there. The rookie's style may be working against him, and it appears he's not going to change the way he plays.
Will the refs change the way they officiate him? They're going to have to if he's to become a true shutdown corner.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?