Updated Nov 11, 2011 - 3:19 pm
Ray Horton hoping for 'Jordan Rules' with Patrick Peterson
However, the Cardinals selected him No. 5 overall because he was a standout cornerback at LSU, and they're hoping he can be a shutdown kind of player at the pro level.
Peterson has shown flashes, but has been held back by inexperience -- and penalties.
The corner has been flagged four times for pass interference and twice for holding Mike Sando's ESPN NFC West Blog, and even though passes aren't being caught yardage is still being gained. That has to stop.
"Hopefully the league will look and go, you know, he gets the same amount of respect, eventually, as the guy in New York, as the guy in Philadelphia, and they just don't call those type of things," defensive coordinator Ray Horton said. "Because if you do they catch every ball," he said.
Horton was talking about Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha, respectively, as corners who are allowed to play a physical style without being penalized.
So, Horton said he will not ask Peterson to tone down the aggression. Instead he thinks Peterson will gain the respect of officials, who will give him the benefit of the doubt on close calls.
"Hopefully they understand this guy can cover and he's going to be on the guy tight," Horton said. "I think it's kind of like 'Jordan Rules', you know, you start to understand that this guy is good and he's going to be on the guy because he's so good and he's getting tight coverage and he's just there all the time.
"They're probably not used to a young guy like that, he's got to be doing something different."
So in a way, Peterson is not the only one learning out there. The rookie's style may be working against him, and it appears he's not going to change the way he plays.
Will the refs change the way they officiate him? They're going to have to if he's to become a true shutdown corner.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?