Updated Nov 11, 2011 - 3:19 pm
Ray Horton hoping for 'Jordan Rules' with Patrick Peterson
However, the Cardinals selected him No. 5 overall because he was a standout cornerback at LSU, and they're hoping he can be a shutdown kind of player at the pro level.
Peterson has shown flashes, but has been held back by inexperience -- and penalties.
The corner has been flagged four times for pass interference and twice for holding Mike Sando's ESPN NFC West Blog, and even though passes aren't being caught yardage is still being gained. That has to stop.
"Hopefully the league will look and go, you know, he gets the same amount of respect, eventually, as the guy in New York, as the guy in Philadelphia, and they just don't call those type of things," defensive coordinator Ray Horton said. "Because if you do they catch every ball," he said.
Horton was talking about Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha, respectively, as corners who are allowed to play a physical style without being penalized.
So, Horton said he will not ask Peterson to tone down the aggression. Instead he thinks Peterson will gain the respect of officials, who will give him the benefit of the doubt on close calls.
"Hopefully they understand this guy can cover and he's going to be on the guy tight," Horton said. "I think it's kind of like 'Jordan Rules', you know, you start to understand that this guy is good and he's going to be on the guy because he's so good and he's getting tight coverage and he's just there all the time.
"They're probably not used to a young guy like that, he's got to be doing something different."
So in a way, Peterson is not the only one learning out there. The rookie's style may be working against him, and it appears he's not going to change the way he plays.
Will the refs change the way they officiate him? They're going to have to if he's to become a true shutdown corner.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.