Ray Horton hoping for 'Jordan Rules' with Patrick Peterson
However, the Cardinals selected him No. 5 overall because he was a standout cornerback at LSU, and they're hoping he can be a shutdown kind of player at the pro level.
Peterson has shown flashes, but has been held back by inexperience -- and penalties.
The corner has been flagged four times for pass interference and twice for holding Mike Sando's ESPN NFC West Blog, and even though passes aren't being caught yardage is still being gained. That has to stop.
"Hopefully the league will look and go, you know, he gets the same amount of respect, eventually, as the guy in New York, as the guy in Philadelphia, and they just don't call those type of things," defensive coordinator Ray Horton said. "Because if you do they catch every ball," he said.
Horton was talking about Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha, respectively, as corners who are allowed to play a physical style without being penalized.
So, Horton said he will not ask Peterson to tone down the aggression. Instead he thinks Peterson will gain the respect of officials, who will give him the benefit of the doubt on close calls.
"Hopefully they understand this guy can cover and he's going to be on the guy tight," Horton said. "I think it's kind of like 'Jordan Rules', you know, you start to understand that this guy is good and he's going to be on the guy because he's so good and he's getting tight coverage and he's just there all the time.
"They're probably not used to a young guy like that, he's got to be doing something different."
So in a way, Peterson is not the only one learning out there. The rookie's style may be working against him, and it appears he's not going to change the way he plays.
Will the refs change the way they officiate him? They're going to have to if he's to become a true shutdown corner.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.