Updated Nov 11, 2011 - 12:14 pm
With experience, Patrick Peterson gets his swagger back
After an amazing game-winning punt return in overtime and strong defensive play all game against the St. Louis Rams, the number five pick in the 2011 Draft appears be getting the hang of professional football.
"With me taking the time to study with the defensive secondary coach, studying with Adrian Wilson, the game has slowed down tremendously for me," Peterson said on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf.
It is scary to think that Peterson was unsatisfied with where he was at the beginning of the season, considering he played well for a rookie starter.
"I'm not going to blame it on the lockout, but you didn't have the chance to really see live bullets," Peterson said. "Not having an opportunity to really, really practice and get my hands on the scheme, you know, it took a little time for me."
It was around week six, according to Peterson, for him to feel confident with the speed of the NFL game.
"I told coach after that bye week I knew it was going to come sooner or later," Peterson said. "I just had an opportunity to continue to study and continue to work to be the best."
Peterson credits practicing against Pro Bowl wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald as another reason for his progression.
"The whole lockout situation kind of set me a little bit but once I got a hold of the game, once everything started slowing down, I felt more comfortable, gained a lot more confidence and got my swagger back that I had when I was in college," Peterson said.
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.