Updated Nov 11, 2011 - 12:14 pm
With experience, Patrick Peterson gets his swagger back
After an amazing game-winning punt return in overtime and strong defensive play all game against the St. Louis Rams, the number five pick in the 2011 Draft appears be getting the hang of professional football.
"With me taking the time to study with the defensive secondary coach, studying with Adrian Wilson, the game has slowed down tremendously for me," Peterson said on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf.
It is scary to think that Peterson was unsatisfied with where he was at the beginning of the season, considering he played well for a rookie starter.
"I'm not going to blame it on the lockout, but you didn't have the chance to really see live bullets," Peterson said. "Not having an opportunity to really, really practice and get my hands on the scheme, you know, it took a little time for me."
It was around week six, according to Peterson, for him to feel confident with the speed of the NFL game.
"I told coach after that bye week I knew it was going to come sooner or later," Peterson said. "I just had an opportunity to continue to study and continue to work to be the best."
Peterson credits practicing against Pro Bowl wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald as another reason for his progression.
"The whole lockout situation kind of set me a little bit but once I got a hold of the game, once everything started slowing down, I felt more comfortable, gained a lot more confidence and got my swagger back that I had when I was in college," Peterson said.
- Arizona Cardinals don't want to be NFC West's 'stepchild' any longer
- Arizona Cardinals will have Andre Ellington back on the field vs. Rams
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 6
- A different kind of measuring stick awaits Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' coach expects 'questionable' Carson Palmer to play Sunday vs. St. Louis Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?