Updated Nov 11, 2011 - 12:14 pm
With experience, Patrick Peterson gets his swagger back
After an amazing game-winning punt return in overtime and strong defensive play all game against the St. Louis Rams, the number five pick in the 2011 Draft appears be getting the hang of professional football.
"With me taking the time to study with the defensive secondary coach, studying with Adrian Wilson, the game has slowed down tremendously for me," Peterson said on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf.
It is scary to think that Peterson was unsatisfied with where he was at the beginning of the season, considering he played well for a rookie starter.
"I'm not going to blame it on the lockout, but you didn't have the chance to really see live bullets," Peterson said. "Not having an opportunity to really, really practice and get my hands on the scheme, you know, it took a little time for me."
It was around week six, according to Peterson, for him to feel confident with the speed of the NFL game.
"I told coach after that bye week I knew it was going to come sooner or later," Peterson said. "I just had an opportunity to continue to study and continue to work to be the best."
Peterson credits practicing against Pro Bowl wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald as another reason for his progression.
"The whole lockout situation kind of set me a little bit but once I got a hold of the game, once everything started slowing down, I felt more comfortable, gained a lot more confidence and got my swagger back that I had when I was in college," Peterson said.
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.