Updated Nov 14, 2011 - 4:41 pm
Heap itching to get back on field
This season Heap has played in five games, catching 13 passes for 150 yards and no touchdowns.
This is a player who, coming into this season, had 480 receptions, 5,502 yards and 41 touchdowns with his former team, the Baltimore Ravens.
To be fair, Heap has been battling a hamstring injury that has rendered him useless for over a month now.
Heap joined Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday to discuss his injury status.
"For me its a day-to-day thing," Heap said. "It's been that way for a while now, I've had days that have set me back that's what kind of happened last week so it's hard to say at this point."
Heap hopes his return will come Sunday in the Cardinals' divisional matchup against the 49ers.
"I'd love to be out there especially in a division game," Heap said. "It's a big game for us, they're playing so well it's going to be a huge test for us."
Just because the tight end hasn't played in six weeks doesn't mean the hamstring isn't getting better, but Heap is proceeding with caution.
"I started Wednesday practices and it felt decent but not great," Heap said. "I continued on Thursday and it was still sore from practice on Wednesday and then on Friday I was frustrated and tried to push through it and I don't think that helped me."
Heap signed a two-year contract and his extended time away from the field may hurt the player's chances of remaining with the team next season.
"I'm not really worried about that right now, I've got other things that concern me," Heap said. "My biggest concern is getting on the field and making an impact for this team."
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.