Sunday could be an 'audition' for Skelton
And while it's not as widespread as say, Team Edward vs. Team Jacob, the Kolb vs. Skelton argument has been an intriguing one in the Valley for the last three weeks.
Let me lay my cards on the table: I'm a Kolb guy. Okay, let me rephrase that. I'm a guy who believes that it's way too early to hand the offense over to Skelton, especially considering Kolb's injury and the hefty contract he signed after being traded to the Cardinals. Eight starts is not nearly a big enough sample size to form an opinion on Kolb's future (although I guess the Cardinals did that when they gave him $63 million, but I digress).
That being said, if John Skelton can go into San Francisco and beat the first-place 49ers, it'll get a lot harder for head coach Ken Whisenhunt not to give him the job.
Most Skelton supporters point to his 4-2 record as a starter as a reason that he should be the man steering the offense. It's almost like a mini-Tebow argument (with my sincere apologies to Skelton's ability to actually throw a football).
Think about it: Tebow supporters say "who cares what his numbers look like? He just wins games." And there is some truth to that. Winning is the ultimate statistic in any sport.
But a little deeper look into Skelton's win list reveals that he hasn't exactly beaten great teams on his way to that record. His four pro wins have come against Denver (2010), Dallas (2010), St. Louis and Philadelphia--four teams with a combined record of 12-29 at the time of the game.
But a win over the 49ers, a team that is not only 8-1 and has given up the least points in the NFL, but also has had the Cardinals' number over the last two years, might be enough to turn my thinking around.
And maybe Ken Whisenhunt's as well.
- Impromptu Power Poll: Tim Tebow - Monday June 10Doug & Wolf's top 5 reasons why the Patriots signed Tim Tebow.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br