Updated Nov 21, 2011 - 4:47 pm
Despite tough season, Cardinals stay positive
The Arizona Cardinals dropped their seventh game of the season Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers, losing 23- 7.
What makes it worse is the Cardinals, after rolling off two straight wins, finally looked like a team that was ready to turn the corner.
Then came Sunday, as the 49ers forced five Cardinals turnovers and only allowed 229 yards of offense.
Even though the loss has potential to hurt the team's mentality, head coach Ken Whisenhunt says his team doesn't have a negative state of mind.
"I think that they believe that we are making progress as a team," Whisenhunt said. "Even though things weren't going well those guys were still very positive very upbeat."
The Cardinals have been competitive in four of the seven losses, losing by a combined 11 points. So even though the Cardinals haven't been good, there is something to build on.
"We're not where we want to be record wise, but we've won two of the last three games so our guys are seeing improvement," Whisenhunt said. "I see positive signs all the time in the practice field from the effort, we've got enough good leaders that work hard all the time like Larry [Fitzgerald], like Darnell [Dockett] that set the tempo."
Whisenhunt believes his players will not become discouraged at any point this season.
"Our guys have worked hard," Whisenhunt said. "We got enough young guys that want to play and that want to do it the right way that it hasn't been an issue."
The Cardinals must now move on and prepare for the Rams on Sunday. Whisenhunt says this week will be about fine tuning the scheme since the two teams have already met once this season.
"You don't have to spend a lot of time studying the players or how they play certain techniques or how they play the schemes of their offense or defense," Whisenhunt said. "You can have a greater anticipation of how their going to play you, so it gives you a chance to really fine tune and really prepare with your gameplan."
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves