Updated Nov 21, 2011 - 6:55 pm
Loss brings back familiar talk from Whisenhunt
During the Cardinals six-game losing streak head coach Ken Whisenhunt stressed giving the players time to learn the new schemes. He said it was difficult for a new quarterback to learn a new system. The six-game losing streak was about growing and maturing as a team.
Then the Cardinals won two in a row, including a surprise victory in Philadelphia, and people started to believe that the team was finally turning the corner and Whisenhunt's words were having some effect.
Whisenhunt was back to his old sayings on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf.
"Defensively we have to continue to grow," Whisehunt said. "We didn't play as well against St. Louis defensively last time but we've made strides over the last couple of weeks in growing up as a defense."
If the Cardinals don't beat the Rams on Sunday, that two- game winning streak will look more like a fluke than a sign of improvement.
"We have to do a better job coverage-wise in the secondary this week than we did," Whisenhunt said. "We didn't have a great week, coverage-wise, against San Fransisco, we had some technique breakdowns and that's an area we have to improve."
Technique breakdowns happen because the players are either not good enough or they are under-prepared.
The loss to the 49ers reminded people that these Cardinals still have a long way to go. If they can't bounce back successfully, count on Whisenhunt's hot seat to get a little warmer.
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.