Updated Nov 21, 2011 - 6:55 pm
Loss brings back familiar talk from Whisenhunt
During the Cardinals six-game losing streak head coach Ken Whisenhunt stressed giving the players time to learn the new schemes. He said it was difficult for a new quarterback to learn a new system. The six-game losing streak was about growing and maturing as a team.
Then the Cardinals won two in a row, including a surprise victory in Philadelphia, and people started to believe that the team was finally turning the corner and Whisenhunt's words were having some effect.
Whisenhunt was back to his old sayings on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf.
"Defensively we have to continue to grow," Whisehunt said. "We didn't play as well against St. Louis defensively last time but we've made strides over the last couple of weeks in growing up as a defense."
If the Cardinals don't beat the Rams on Sunday, that two- game winning streak will look more like a fluke than a sign of improvement.
"We have to do a better job coverage-wise in the secondary this week than we did," Whisenhunt said. "We didn't have a great week, coverage-wise, against San Fransisco, we had some technique breakdowns and that's an area we have to improve."
Technique breakdowns happen because the players are either not good enough or they are under-prepared.
The loss to the 49ers reminded people that these Cardinals still have a long way to go. If they can't bounce back successfully, count on Whisenhunt's hot seat to get a little warmer.
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.