Updated Nov 21, 2011 - 6:55 pm
Loss brings back familiar talk from Whisenhunt
During the Cardinals six-game losing streak head coach Ken Whisenhunt stressed giving the players time to learn the new schemes. He said it was difficult for a new quarterback to learn a new system. The six-game losing streak was about growing and maturing as a team.
Then the Cardinals won two in a row, including a surprise victory in Philadelphia, and people started to believe that the team was finally turning the corner and Whisenhunt's words were having some effect.
Whisenhunt was back to his old sayings on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf.
"Defensively we have to continue to grow," Whisehunt said. "We didn't play as well against St. Louis defensively last time but we've made strides over the last couple of weeks in growing up as a defense."
If the Cardinals don't beat the Rams on Sunday, that two- game winning streak will look more like a fluke than a sign of improvement.
"We have to do a better job coverage-wise in the secondary this week than we did," Whisenhunt said. "We didn't have a great week, coverage-wise, against San Fransisco, we had some technique breakdowns and that's an area we have to improve."
Technique breakdowns happen because the players are either not good enough or they are under-prepared.
The loss to the 49ers reminded people that these Cardinals still have a long way to go. If they can't bounce back successfully, count on Whisenhunt's hot seat to get a little warmer.
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Arizona Cardinals 2014 Free Agent Headquarters
- Arizona Cardinals sign free agent tight end John Carlson
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!