Updated Nov 21, 2011 - 6:55 pm
Loss brings back familiar talk from Whisenhunt
During the Cardinals six-game losing streak head coach Ken Whisenhunt stressed giving the players time to learn the new schemes. He said it was difficult for a new quarterback to learn a new system. The six-game losing streak was about growing and maturing as a team.
Then the Cardinals won two in a row, including a surprise victory in Philadelphia, and people started to believe that the team was finally turning the corner and Whisenhunt's words were having some effect.
Whisenhunt was back to his old sayings on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf.
"Defensively we have to continue to grow," Whisehunt said. "We didn't play as well against St. Louis defensively last time but we've made strides over the last couple of weeks in growing up as a defense."
If the Cardinals don't beat the Rams on Sunday, that two- game winning streak will look more like a fluke than a sign of improvement.
"We have to do a better job coverage-wise in the secondary this week than we did," Whisenhunt said. "We didn't have a great week, coverage-wise, against San Fransisco, we had some technique breakdowns and that's an area we have to improve."
Technique breakdowns happen because the players are either not good enough or they are under-prepared.
The loss to the 49ers reminded people that these Cardinals still have a long way to go. If they can't bounce back successfully, count on Whisenhunt's hot seat to get a little warmer.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up