Updated Nov 21, 2011 - 6:55 pm
Loss brings back familiar talk from Whisenhunt
During the Cardinals six-game losing streak head coach Ken Whisenhunt stressed giving the players time to learn the new schemes. He said it was difficult for a new quarterback to learn a new system. The six-game losing streak was about growing and maturing as a team.
Then the Cardinals won two in a row, including a surprise victory in Philadelphia, and people started to believe that the team was finally turning the corner and Whisenhunt's words were having some effect.
Whisenhunt was back to his old sayings on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf.
"Defensively we have to continue to grow," Whisehunt said. "We didn't play as well against St. Louis defensively last time but we've made strides over the last couple of weeks in growing up as a defense."
If the Cardinals don't beat the Rams on Sunday, that two- game winning streak will look more like a fluke than a sign of improvement.
"We have to do a better job coverage-wise in the secondary this week than we did," Whisenhunt said. "We didn't have a great week, coverage-wise, against San Fransisco, we had some technique breakdowns and that's an area we have to improve."
Technique breakdowns happen because the players are either not good enough or they are under-prepared.
The loss to the 49ers reminded people that these Cardinals still have a long way to go. If they can't bounce back successfully, count on Whisenhunt's hot seat to get a little warmer.
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.