Updated Nov 21, 2011 - 3:59 pm
Skelton was bad Sunday, but not the worst in history
It's as bad as it sounds.
To be fair to Skelton, it's not the lowest QB rating in NFL history. According to Wikipedia, as recently as 2007 Atlanta's Chris Redman posted a rating of 0 in a game vs. Tampa Bay after completing just 4 of 15 passes for 34 yards and two interceptions.
But it's not the worst in Cardinals history, and given the
top notch signal callers who
have called the Valley home, being the best - at being the
worst - is actually fairly impressive.
In fact, Kent Graham (remember him?) posted a 0.0 rating in a 1997 game, torching the Giants to the tune of 4 of 14 for 40 yards and a pair of picks. Boomer Esiason had some struggles at New England in 1996, completing just 4 of 12 passes for 22 yards and two interceptions. His rating that day? 2.8.
Skelton's game against the 49ers comes in third, with Graham (again) coming in fourth and Jake Plummer landing in fifth.
More recently, Derek Anderson's 17 of 31, 161 yard, 2 interception performance against Atlanta last season, while terrible, was only bad enough for a rating of 42.5.
There was nothing funny about Anderson's game against the 49ers later in the season, in which he completed 16 of 35 passes for 196 yards and one interception. That left him with a 51.6 rating.
Then again, for all of Anderson's faults, he wasn't Max Hall-bad.
Hall, in fact, gave Skelton a run for his money with his start at Seattle last year, completing just 4 of 16 passes for 36 yards and one interception, giving him a rating of 13.5.
John Skelton had a brutal Sunday against the 49ers, a game that will go down as one of the worst quarterbacking performances in team history. But it's not the worst, and that's something to be happy about.
Or maybe not.
Arizona Sports' Vince Marotta contributed to this report
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?