Updated Nov 21, 2011 - 3:59 pm
Skelton was bad Sunday, but not the worst in history
It's as bad as it sounds.
To be fair to Skelton, it's not the lowest QB rating in NFL history. According to Wikipedia, as recently as 2007 Atlanta's Chris Redman posted a rating of 0 in a game vs. Tampa Bay after completing just 4 of 15 passes for 34 yards and two interceptions.
But it's not the worst in Cardinals history, and given the
top notch signal callers who
have called the Valley home, being the best - at being the
worst - is actually fairly impressive.
In fact, Kent Graham (remember him?) posted a 0.0 rating in a 1997 game, torching the Giants to the tune of 4 of 14 for 40 yards and a pair of picks. Boomer Esiason had some struggles at New England in 1996, completing just 4 of 12 passes for 22 yards and two interceptions. His rating that day? 2.8.
Skelton's game against the 49ers comes in third, with Graham (again) coming in fourth and Jake Plummer landing in fifth.
More recently, Derek Anderson's 17 of 31, 161 yard, 2 interception performance against Atlanta last season, while terrible, was only bad enough for a rating of 42.5.
There was nothing funny about Anderson's game against the 49ers later in the season, in which he completed 16 of 35 passes for 196 yards and one interception. That left him with a 51.6 rating.
Then again, for all of Anderson's faults, he wasn't Max Hall-bad.
Hall, in fact, gave Skelton a run for his money with his start at Seattle last year, completing just 4 of 16 passes for 36 yards and one interception, giving him a rating of 13.5.
John Skelton had a brutal Sunday against the 49ers, a game that will go down as one of the worst quarterbacking performances in team history. But it's not the worst, and that's something to be happy about.
Or maybe not.
Arizona Sports' Vince Marotta contributed to this report
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.