Updated Nov 21, 2011 - 12:55 pm
Whisenhunt on Skelton: 'That happens with young players'
The second-year pro, who had won his previous two starts, completed just 6 of 19 passes for 99 yards and three interceptions in the team's 23-7 loss to the 49ers, and was pulled from the game in the fourth quarter.
A step back in his progression? Hard to say it wasn't.
"After what he's done the last couple weeks where you saw he was making progress, it's frustrating," Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt said. "I know it's frustrating for John, but he's a young player -- that happens with young players.
"We've got to get him through this, we've got to get better at making sure that he won't, hopefully, struggle."
That's because, as Whisenhunt said, starting quarterback Kevin Kolb wasn't really close to playing Sunday. There is no timetable for his return, meaning Skelton may be in line for another start Sunday in St. Louis.
"John didn't play his best [Sunday], but he's got to bounce back and if he has to play this week he's got to be ready to go," Whisenhunt said.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.
- House of Cards Camp Awards - Friday August 22Doug & Wolf announce the winners of the 2014 House of Cards Camp Awards.
- Max Starks, Cardinals offenisve lineman - Friday August 22Cardinals offensive lineman Max Starks is excited to be reunited with Bruce Arians.
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Friday August 22Michael Bidwill discusses preparing for the Super Bowl without the help of the City of Glendale.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.