Updated Nov 21, 2011 - 12:55 pm
Whisenhunt on Skelton: 'That happens with young players'
The second-year pro, who had won his previous two starts, completed just 6 of 19 passes for 99 yards and three interceptions in the team's 23-7 loss to the 49ers, and was pulled from the game in the fourth quarter.
A step back in his progression? Hard to say it wasn't.
"After what he's done the last couple weeks where you saw he was making progress, it's frustrating," Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt said. "I know it's frustrating for John, but he's a young player -- that happens with young players.
"We've got to get him through this, we've got to get better at making sure that he won't, hopefully, struggle."
That's because, as Whisenhunt said, starting quarterback Kevin Kolb wasn't really close to playing Sunday. There is no timetable for his return, meaning Skelton may be in line for another start Sunday in St. Louis.
"John didn't play his best [Sunday], but he's got to bounce back and if he has to play this week he's got to be ready to go," Whisenhunt said.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer relishing opportunity in the desert
- Being first is an important step for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Jonathan Dwyer, Arizona Cardinals RB - Friday August 1Cardinals RB Jonathan Dwyer talks about coming to a new team.
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.