Updated Nov 28, 2011 - 10:07 am
Peterson: 'I just told him don't kick it to me'
The rookie from LSU returned a punt off of the foot of St. Louis Rams punter Donnie Jones 80 yards for a touchdown in the third quarter of the Cardinals' 23-20 win on Sunday.
It was the 2nd time in the last four games that Peterson returned a punt for a score against the Rams. Just three weeks ago, he returned one 99 yards in overtime to clinch a Cardinals' victory.
The Rams had to still be reeling from that, right? Surely they wouldn't let it happen again.
In a postgame interview with Arizona Sports' Paul Calvisi, who is also the sideline reporter for the Arizona Cardinals Radio Network, Peterson says he gave Jones fair warning before the game.
"I just told him 'don't kick it to me,'" Peterson said. "And he said 'we don't know what's gonna happen, just wait until the game comes.'
"I was like 'okay.'"
Peterson actually sounded somewhat shocked at how easy it was. "Actually when I saw the middle of the field just spread open like the Red Sea, I pretty much knew I was going to the end zone," Peterson responded when Calvisi asked when he realized he was on his way to history.
Peterson became the fourth player in NFL history to have four punt returns for touchdowns in a single season, joining Devin Hester, Rick Upchurch and Jack Christiansen, and the first to have four of 80 yards or more.
The scary thing is, the Cardinals still have five games left, so there's more opportunity for more history.
"I'm going for six," Peterson said.
Do you doubt him?
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.