Updated Nov 28, 2011 - 10:07 am
Peterson: 'I just told him don't kick it to me'
The rookie from LSU returned a punt off of the foot of St. Louis Rams punter Donnie Jones 80 yards for a touchdown in the third quarter of the Cardinals' 23-20 win on Sunday.
It was the 2nd time in the last four games that Peterson returned a punt for a score against the Rams. Just three weeks ago, he returned one 99 yards in overtime to clinch a Cardinals' victory.
The Rams had to still be reeling from that, right? Surely they wouldn't let it happen again.
In a postgame interview with Arizona Sports' Paul Calvisi, who is also the sideline reporter for the Arizona Cardinals Radio Network, Peterson says he gave Jones fair warning before the game.
"I just told him 'don't kick it to me,'" Peterson said. "And he said 'we don't know what's gonna happen, just wait until the game comes.'
"I was like 'okay.'"
Peterson actually sounded somewhat shocked at how easy it was. "Actually when I saw the middle of the field just spread open like the Red Sea, I pretty much knew I was going to the end zone," Peterson responded when Calvisi asked when he realized he was on his way to history.
Peterson became the fourth player in NFL history to have four punt returns for touchdowns in a single season, joining Devin Hester, Rick Upchurch and Jack Christiansen, and the first to have four of 80 yards or more.
The scary thing is, the Cardinals still have five games left, so there's more opportunity for more history.
"I'm going for six," Peterson said.
Do you doubt him?
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.