Updated Nov 28, 2011 - 10:07 am
Peterson: 'I just told him don't kick it to me'
The rookie from LSU returned a punt off of the foot of St. Louis Rams punter Donnie Jones 80 yards for a touchdown in the third quarter of the Cardinals' 23-20 win on Sunday.
It was the 2nd time in the last four games that Peterson returned a punt for a score against the Rams. Just three weeks ago, he returned one 99 yards in overtime to clinch a Cardinals' victory.
The Rams had to still be reeling from that, right? Surely they wouldn't let it happen again.
In a postgame interview with Arizona Sports' Paul Calvisi, who is also the sideline reporter for the Arizona Cardinals Radio Network, Peterson says he gave Jones fair warning before the game.
"I just told him 'don't kick it to me,'" Peterson said. "And he said 'we don't know what's gonna happen, just wait until the game comes.'
"I was like 'okay.'"
Peterson actually sounded somewhat shocked at how easy it was. "Actually when I saw the middle of the field just spread open like the Red Sea, I pretty much knew I was going to the end zone," Peterson responded when Calvisi asked when he realized he was on his way to history.
Peterson became the fourth player in NFL history to have four punt returns for touchdowns in a single season, joining Devin Hester, Rick Upchurch and Jack Christiansen, and the first to have four of 80 yards or more.
The scary thing is, the Cardinals still have five games left, so there's more opportunity for more history.
"I'm going for six," Peterson said.
Do you doubt him?
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.