Updated Nov 28, 2011 - 10:07 am
Peterson: 'I just told him don't kick it to me'
The rookie from LSU returned a punt off of the foot of St. Louis Rams punter Donnie Jones 80 yards for a touchdown in the third quarter of the Cardinals' 23-20 win on Sunday.
It was the 2nd time in the last four games that Peterson returned a punt for a score against the Rams. Just three weeks ago, he returned one 99 yards in overtime to clinch a Cardinals' victory.
The Rams had to still be reeling from that, right? Surely they wouldn't let it happen again.
In a postgame interview with Arizona Sports' Paul Calvisi, who is also the sideline reporter for the Arizona Cardinals Radio Network, Peterson says he gave Jones fair warning before the game.
"I just told him 'don't kick it to me,'" Peterson said. "And he said 'we don't know what's gonna happen, just wait until the game comes.'
"I was like 'okay.'"
Peterson actually sounded somewhat shocked at how easy it was. "Actually when I saw the middle of the field just spread open like the Red Sea, I pretty much knew I was going to the end zone," Peterson responded when Calvisi asked when he realized he was on his way to history.
Peterson became the fourth player in NFL history to have four punt returns for touchdowns in a single season, joining Devin Hester, Rick Upchurch and Jack Christiansen, and the first to have four of 80 yards or more.
The scary thing is, the Cardinals still have five games left, so there's more opportunity for more history.
"I'm going for six," Peterson said.
Do you doubt him?
- Karlos Dansby attracting many suitors for his services
- Report says Andre Roberts agrees to deal with Redskins
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?