Updated Nov 28, 2011 - 10:07 am
Peterson: 'I just told him don't kick it to me'
The rookie from LSU returned a punt off of the foot of St. Louis Rams punter Donnie Jones 80 yards for a touchdown in the third quarter of the Cardinals' 23-20 win on Sunday.
It was the 2nd time in the last four games that Peterson returned a punt for a score against the Rams. Just three weeks ago, he returned one 99 yards in overtime to clinch a Cardinals' victory.
The Rams had to still be reeling from that, right? Surely they wouldn't let it happen again.
In a postgame interview with Arizona Sports' Paul Calvisi, who is also the sideline reporter for the Arizona Cardinals Radio Network, Peterson says he gave Jones fair warning before the game.
"I just told him 'don't kick it to me,'" Peterson said. "And he said 'we don't know what's gonna happen, just wait until the game comes.'
"I was like 'okay.'"
Peterson actually sounded somewhat shocked at how easy it was. "Actually when I saw the middle of the field just spread open like the Red Sea, I pretty much knew I was going to the end zone," Peterson responded when Calvisi asked when he realized he was on his way to history.
Peterson became the fourth player in NFL history to have four punt returns for touchdowns in a single season, joining Devin Hester, Rick Upchurch and Jack Christiansen, and the first to have four of 80 yards or more.
The scary thing is, the Cardinals still have five games left, so there's more opportunity for more history.
"I'm going for six," Peterson said.
Do you doubt him?
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves