Coyotes’ Connor Murphy, D-backs pitchers support boy’s fight with cancer
Character Counts | April 15, 2016 8:42 am
Arizona Coyotes defenseman Connor Murphy and others have supported seven-year-old Hollis Doherty’s fight with a rare form of cancer.
Ravens star Steve Smith makes teen’s wish come true by taking her to prom
Character Counts | April 12, 2016 10:21 am
Ravens star Steve Smith will be taking 18-year-old Aubrey Bridges, who lives with autism, to her senior prom.
T’Wolves’ Zach LaVine donates to school for the deaf
Character Counts | April 5, 2016 11:05 am
Though known for his high-flying dunks, the Timberwolves’ Zach LaVine is making a name for himself for his charity work, too.
Wizards star John Wall buys tuxedos for 10 high school seniors
Character Counts | March 28, 2016 10:51 am
The Washington Wizards’ John Wall is doing his part to make sure prom is a special night for 10 DC-area high school students.
Kyle Schwarber saves the day for young ballplayer
Character Counts | March 21, 2016 3:05 pm
Kyle Schwarber proved to be a life saver for a young ballplayer from Chicago, who arrived in Arizona without his catcher’s mitt.
Former D-back Adam Eaton greets 6-year-old blind fan with autograph and gear
Character Counts | March 17, 2016 10:56 am
Walking past a scrum of autograph hungry fans could be tiresome for most athletes, but that didn’t stop Adam Eaton from making a kid’s day.
Character Counts: LaDainian Tomlinson helps kids find accountability
Character Counts | March 12, 2016 11:34 am
LaDainian Tomlinson grew up learning how important accountability is. The retired running back has established the SOAR program to pass along the knowledge.
Larry Fitzgerald funds #BestSchoolDay requests from Minneapolis schools
Character Counts | March 11, 2016 6:59 am
Larry Fitzgerald’s generosity helps out 20 Minneapolis schools.
Giants RB Jennings surprises mother with house
Character Counts | March 9, 2016 12:41 pm
It’s not uncommon to see an athlete take care of their parents once they reach the professional level. That does not make it any less special, though.
Character Counts Finalist
- Horizon's Kody Huff more than a rising baseball star
- Campo Verde's Kanani Hiapo thrives on volleyball court, in the classroom
- Raymond S. Kellis sophomore Chase Weaver balances leadership roles in sports, church
- Westwood's Brianna Anderson makes big differences with little actions
- Marcos de Niza kicker Krysten Muir using football success to build up others
- Arcadia High School's Grant Loftin leads in lacrosse and beyond
- Williams Field High School junior Lindsay O'Driscoll finds time to help others
- Scottsdale Christian's Christina Clark has dreams, reality of helping others
- Golf, piloting and helping others are Brody Burnell's passions
- Teddy bear drive, speeches help Emery Miller inspire children to overcome adversity