Updated Jun 13, 2011 - 2:46 pm
Coyotes' newest coach has an entertaining past
Despite the uphill battle, the Phoenix Coyotes announcement Monday morning that Jim Playfair had agreed to join the team's coaching staff as an associate head coach caught our attention.
It wasn't because we find his coaching prowess to be a huge asset for the team (honestly we don't really know what he'll bring to the table from that standpoint outside of what the team's press release told us). It was because his name sounded awfully familiar and thanks to YouTube we remembered why.
The possibility of a repeat performance is reason enough to show up in Glendale on a weeknight this upcoming season if we've ever seen one (even if you live in the East Valley and it will take you an hour to get home). A coach ripping off his jacket, shirt and tie like Hulk Hogan on the bench while breaking hockey sticks like most people break toothpicks is about as entertaining as it gets.
Thanks to Playfair having perpetrated one of the greatest coaching meltdowns in the history of sports, the Coyotes announcement underwent a She's All That type transformation from plain looking to noteworthy.
- Coyotes on right financial track with new owners
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?