Updated Jun 24, 2011 - 10:37 am
Coyotes deal may come at end of summer
According to the Arizona Republic, the city of Glendale is hoping to sell the team and get this issue resolved in the next few months.
"I know the city's hope is to move forward toward a closing by the end of the summer," deputy commissioner of the National Hockey League Bill Daly said.
While a closed-door City Council meeting was encouraging to some, Mayor Elaine Scruggs did not appear to be too optimistic.
"I think that the staff would very much like to have us come back to the news there was a deal done," Scruggs said. "That's an optimistic hope."
The city of Glendale is not alone in their eagerness to strike a deal as one potential buyer is just as anxious.
"I'm still interested in buying the Coyotes, but the clock is striking midnight right now," Chicago businessman and potential buyer Matthew Hulsizer said. "The council is considering something and we're really interested in keeping the team (in Glendale) forever."
Hulsizer is interested in buying the Coyotes, but he is not alone as Daly mentioned there are several potential buyers.
However, Daly was not willing to name any of them so all information about the identities of these other potential buyers is unknown.
While getting things done by August may be a stretch, it is a good sign to see both sides getting restless and eager to get a deal done.
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?