Updated Oct 20, 2011 - 11:16 pm
Off the Ice: Kyle Turris for Zach Parise trade topics tackled
On Wednesday, I tweeted a rumor about the New Jersey Devils being interested in Phoenix Coyotes holdout center Kyle Turris and the possibility that the Coyotes may be able to pry Zach Parise away from the Devils.
Boy, did that get some responses.
I agree, not only because Parise is a phenomenal player, but, at 27, he is also young enough to build a team around and possibly make a run towards Lord Stanley's silverware. But let's live in the realm of insanity and pretend that, for some reason, the Devils could be tempted into a trade.
Turris has talent. He may be a petulant child wanting more money, but he has talent and potential to become a good NHL center on the right team. The Devils, aside from Patrik Elias, don't have another notable center and are also lacking in prospects at right wing. This could mean significant ice time for Turris.
The Devils won't trade Parise for Turris straight-up, as @SputnikAZ pointed out and they shouldn't. I assumed a defensive-minded team like the Devils would need D-men, but they are stacked in prospects. Maybe someone like Viktor Tikhonov could sweeten the deal.
Finally, Parise would flourish in the desert. He has posted massive points on a defensive-minded team. He's quick, smart and massively talented and can work with, let's face it, a lack of star power.
Don't get me wrong, the Turris for Parise trade is unlikely and probably won't happen, but when you look a little deeper, both teams would benefit. But, adding in the fact that Parise is unlikely to stay with the Devils when he becomes an unrestricted free agent after this season, and what once seemed impossible takes a step towards looking possible.
EDITOR'S NOTE: "Off the Ice" is a new portion of ArizonaSports.com where Carter Nacke will be covering and discussing the Phoenix Coyotes throughout the season. While the page is under construction, you can contact him at email@example.com, tweet him at @carternacke or follow the blog's twitter feed at @OfftheIce620. Thanks for reading.
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Arizona Coyotes co-owner, President & CEO - Friday June 27Anthony LeBlanc talks about the latest news with the Arizona Coyotes