Former D-back manager Bob Brenly wants automated strike zone
In the past couple of years Major League Baseball has implemented the use of technology and tried to make their game better with the use of instant replay.
There is always going to be talk and conversation of if they should expand the use of replay and by how much.
We have now reached the point to where former Arizona Diamondbacks manager Bob Brenly is ready to take the use of technology to another level.
While on the Doug & Wolf show on Sports 620 KTAR Friday morning Brenly went off about how terrible he feels the strike zone has been called by umpires this season.
"Baseball would be a much better game if they would stop worrying about these incidental plays that happen once every couple of years and do something about the damn strike zone," Brenly said in reference to being asked about if rules will change because of the Giants' Buster Posey being injured on Wednesday night in a collision at the plate. "The ball-strike umpiring this year in Major League Baseball is as bad as I've ever seen it."
Brenly then expanded on possible ways to fix the poor ball-strike zones of the umpires.
"I'm all for an automated ball-strike system," Brenly told Doug & Wolf. "Have the home plate umpire there to call foul tips, to call tag plays at home plate and to call fair-foul up and down the line, but take the ball-strike calls out of the hands of the home plate umpire."
What? Is he being serious?
Brenly is a former Major League catcher and has been in the game of baseball for decades. It seems surprising that someone you could probably file in the "old school" column would be for such a big change in the game.
It certainly sounded like he was serious and as technology grows he thinks it should be used to the highest level possible.
"As technology has evolved I think we have had at our disposal the ability to never get a ball-strike call wrong."
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer