Updated May 31, 2011 - 9:50 am
ESPN analyst says D-backs looking to deal
Thanks to manager Kirk Gibson the Arizona Diamondbacks have been more aggressive on the field this season and it's paying off in the standings. They may also become more aggressive than they have been in years off it this season too, thanks to general manager Kevin Towers.
ESPN's Buster Olney, via Twitter, said that he expects the D-backs to be buyers rather than sellers this summer.
A team that is going to be aggressive before the deadline, with money to spend -- the Arizona Diamondbacks. Poised to spend.
Over the last few seasons the D-backs have been hesitant to spend at the deadline thanks to deffered payments from their 2001 World Series team that have saddled them with more debt than a poor kid paying for college with student loans. For the first time in over a decade it looks like the financial restraints have been lifted and they'll have a chance to add a piece that can not only help them now but potentially for years to come as well.
If the D-backs want to stay relevant the remainder of this season and moving forward, making a big splash and adding another quality starting pitcher or power bat would help them accomplish just that. Right now they're a fun surprise story that many feel lack ‘staying' power. Pulling the trigger on a deal that adds a player or two that can help, regardless of the price tag, will prove to the fans, and the NL West, that they're here to stay.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.