Updated May 31, 2011 - 9:50 am
ESPN analyst says D-backs looking to deal
Thanks to manager Kirk Gibson the Arizona Diamondbacks have been more aggressive on the field this season and it's paying off in the standings. They may also become more aggressive than they have been in years off it this season too, thanks to general manager Kevin Towers.
ESPN's Buster Olney, via Twitter, said that he expects the D-backs to be buyers rather than sellers this summer.
A team that is going to be aggressive before the deadline, with money to spend -- the Arizona Diamondbacks. Poised to spend.
Over the last few seasons the D-backs have been hesitant to spend at the deadline thanks to deffered payments from their 2001 World Series team that have saddled them with more debt than a poor kid paying for college with student loans. For the first time in over a decade it looks like the financial restraints have been lifted and they'll have a chance to add a piece that can not only help them now but potentially for years to come as well.
If the D-backs want to stay relevant the remainder of this season and moving forward, making a big splash and adding another quality starting pitcher or power bat would help them accomplish just that. Right now they're a fun surprise story that many feel lack ‘staying' power. Pulling the trigger on a deal that adds a player or two that can help, regardless of the price tag, will prove to the fans, and the NL West, that they're here to stay.
- Beckett, Puig silence D-backs in series-clinching win for Dodgers: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Bolsinger struggles in first career start
- Ethier's HR propels Dodgers over Diamondbacks
- D-backs lose early lead, fall to Dodgers: By The Numbers
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.