Updated May 31, 2011 - 9:50 am
ESPN analyst says D-backs looking to deal
Thanks to manager Kirk Gibson the Arizona Diamondbacks have been more aggressive on the field this season and it's paying off in the standings. They may also become more aggressive than they have been in years off it this season too, thanks to general manager Kevin Towers.
ESPN's Buster Olney, via Twitter, said that he expects the D-backs to be buyers rather than sellers this summer.
A team that is going to be aggressive before the deadline, with money to spend -- the Arizona Diamondbacks. Poised to spend.
Over the last few seasons the D-backs have been hesitant to spend at the deadline thanks to deffered payments from their 2001 World Series team that have saddled them with more debt than a poor kid paying for college with student loans. For the first time in over a decade it looks like the financial restraints have been lifted and they'll have a chance to add a piece that can not only help them now but potentially for years to come as well.
If the D-backs want to stay relevant the remainder of this season and moving forward, making a big splash and adding another quality starting pitcher or power bat would help them accomplish just that. Right now they're a fun surprise story that many feel lack ‘staying' power. Pulling the trigger on a deal that adds a player or two that can help, regardless of the price tag, will prove to the fans, and the NL West, that they're here to stay.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.