Updated May 31, 2011 - 9:50 am
ESPN analyst says D-backs looking to deal
Thanks to manager Kirk Gibson the Arizona Diamondbacks have been more aggressive on the field this season and it's paying off in the standings. They may also become more aggressive than they have been in years off it this season too, thanks to general manager Kevin Towers.
ESPN's Buster Olney, via Twitter, said that he expects the D-backs to be buyers rather than sellers this summer.
A team that is going to be aggressive before the deadline, with money to spend -- the Arizona Diamondbacks. Poised to spend.
Over the last few seasons the D-backs have been hesitant to spend at the deadline thanks to deffered payments from their 2001 World Series team that have saddled them with more debt than a poor kid paying for college with student loans. For the first time in over a decade it looks like the financial restraints have been lifted and they'll have a chance to add a piece that can not only help them now but potentially for years to come as well.
If the D-backs want to stay relevant the remainder of this season and moving forward, making a big splash and adding another quality starting pitcher or power bat would help them accomplish just that. Right now they're a fun surprise story that many feel lack ‘staying' power. Pulling the trigger on a deal that adds a player or two that can help, regardless of the price tag, will prove to the fans, and the NL West, that they're here to stay.
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.