Updated Jun 9, 2011 - 9:53 am
Scouts say D-backs had best draft in MLB
General Manager Kevin Towers has said that a team can never have too much pitching and this belief system was on display during the 2011 MLB Draft where the Diamondbacks selected four pitchers in the first two rounds.
Arizona was pleased with their draft results, but it appears that plenty others took notice of what the D-backs were able to accomplish during the draft.
Although post-draft evaluations are nothing more than looking at names on paper, as true evaluations will not come for a few years, scouts are saying the D-backs had the best draft in baseball.
There has been plenty of hype and attention given to Trevor Bauer and Archie Bradley who were selected Nos. 3 and 7, but the D-backs did not stop there as they went on to add a couple more arms.
Andrew Chafin and Anthony Meo were both starters in college, but it is likely the Diamondbacks will move them to relief roles to both better utilize their talents and to get them to the big leagues a little bit quicker. While some of the pitchers, including Bauer, may appear in the majors as early as September or October, it will take at least two or three years before the Diamondbacks are truly able to evaluate the 2011 draft.
Having the best draft on paper may be exciting for fans, but it is only paper right now. The organization can only hope the majority of these players live up to their potential
- The Arizona Diamondbacks rumor mill
- Arizona Diamonbacks reportedly trying to sign OF Shin-Soo Choo
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.