Updated Jun 9, 2011 - 9:53 am
Scouts say D-backs had best draft in MLB
General Manager Kevin Towers has said that a team can never have too much pitching and this belief system was on display during the 2011 MLB Draft where the Diamondbacks selected four pitchers in the first two rounds.
Arizona was pleased with their draft results, but it appears that plenty others took notice of what the D-backs were able to accomplish during the draft.
Although post-draft evaluations are nothing more than looking at names on paper, as true evaluations will not come for a few years, scouts are saying the D-backs had the best draft in baseball.
There has been plenty of hype and attention given to Trevor Bauer and Archie Bradley who were selected Nos. 3 and 7, but the D-backs did not stop there as they went on to add a couple more arms.
Andrew Chafin and Anthony Meo were both starters in college, but it is likely the Diamondbacks will move them to relief roles to both better utilize their talents and to get them to the big leagues a little bit quicker. While some of the pitchers, including Bauer, may appear in the majors as early as September or October, it will take at least two or three years before the Diamondbacks are truly able to evaluate the 2011 draft.
Having the best draft on paper may be exciting for fans, but it is only paper right now. The organization can only hope the majority of these players live up to their potential
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.