Updated Jun 9, 2011 - 9:53 am
Scouts say D-backs had best draft in MLB
General Manager Kevin Towers has said that a team can never have too much pitching and this belief system was on display during the 2011 MLB Draft where the Diamondbacks selected four pitchers in the first two rounds.
Arizona was pleased with their draft results, but it appears that plenty others took notice of what the D-backs were able to accomplish during the draft.
Although post-draft evaluations are nothing more than looking at names on paper, as true evaluations will not come for a few years, scouts are saying the D-backs had the best draft in baseball.
There has been plenty of hype and attention given to Trevor Bauer and Archie Bradley who were selected Nos. 3 and 7, but the D-backs did not stop there as they went on to add a couple more arms.
Andrew Chafin and Anthony Meo were both starters in college, but it is likely the Diamondbacks will move them to relief roles to both better utilize their talents and to get them to the big leagues a little bit quicker. While some of the pitchers, including Bauer, may appear in the majors as early as September or October, it will take at least two or three years before the Diamondbacks are truly able to evaluate the 2011 draft.
Having the best draft on paper may be exciting for fans, but it is only paper right now. The organization can only hope the majority of these players live up to their potential
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.